Snowboarding

OsuMj

ive been snowboardin for a while now, id say probly best thing for learnin how to snowboard is to have some one teach you (friends, teacher) cause if you dont know what ur doin theres not much to know what to improve on. but once u get it ull feel it. are there any decent places around ohio at all?

ive been snowboardin for a while now, id say probly best thing for learnin how to snowboard is to have some one teach you (friends, teacher) cause if you dont know what ur doin theres not much to know what to improve on. but once u get it ull feel it. are there any decent places around ohio at all?

nope. and the places in ohio are far too expensive. i like taking a big trip every winter then using the small hills in ohio to get better for next years trip.

Well... too many times to count really, but only one of them hurt. I started going a little too fast for comfort and flew forward, hit the ground with stiff arms and cracked every bone in my back and neck. Hurt like hell for about 2 mins, then the pain when away... and now its back. :-D

I haven't even gotten out of bed yet because I don't know if my legs are gonna work.

I'm excited for my next trip though, so if anyone feels like teaching me a thing or two, I'm probably up for it.

everything that is good and withing driving distance is east. If you want just an evening then mad river. Make a weekend out of your trips and network with people you or a friend may know out east to cut out hotel expenses. Seven springs is an hour south of pittsburgh, snowshoe is one of the best for close range, or there are several in new york (6-8 hour drive) but it's great for 3 day weekends. windum, hunter, holiday valley.... they are all a little south of syracuse.

As for buying a snowboard, don't by a cheap new one, get a good used on first. The higher end new ones will cost you between $450 and $600 for just the board. The laminate on the cheap boards separates easily and you will destroy the board before the end of the season. Also avoid the step in bindings, the restrict your flexibility on the board and don't have a secure your feet well enough, causing you to lose some input to the board for carving and small position adjustments while you ride. Buy a good set of boots and bindings (burton custom or flo bindings are suggested by me) and get a board separately. You can change your bindings to any board you want after that.

I go to SnowTrails alot because WNCI and 105.7 The Brew offer half priced lift tix for $23. They are actually going on sale this friday @ 8:20am and 8:30am. I like Mad River Mtn better, but from a begginers stand point SnowTrails seems its alittle easier.

I agree with playerpro, buying a good board is essential. But you dont need to spend that much. Also going with someone who actually knows what their doing is essential. That is how I learned and I enjoy snowboarding alot.

I am generally out at Snowtrails every other weekend. Also Midnight Madness @ MRM is awesome, i suggest doing that at least once.

i suggest going to a store that is specific to skiing and snowboarding such as aspen ski and board instead of something like dick's sporting goods. the people at aspen are exremely helpful and knowledgable with all of their products...plus they usually have package deals with boots bindings and board.

when picking out your equipment the priority level usually goes

1. Boots

2. Bindings

3. Board

Buying your equipment in that order will give you a better chance to carry out the full potential that your current skills will allow you to do.

If you blow all of your money on the board and but cheap bindings and boots, you lose alot of your ability to control the board. Good boots give you good control of your bindings. Good bindings give you good control of your board. Put them both together and you will have good control of whatever board you choose.

So I went with Solamon boots - really nice & comfy (a little pricy too), and a Sims board. I like them a lot. I went again on saturday and managed to hobble away from mad river... I think I may need to head back to snow trails until i'm better. I need to find a way to not land on my knees, they're killing me!!

• 2 years later...

Winter is coming up again!! I know its a while from now, but I've actually progressed to being able to do blue/black in Colorado and black in PA. My friends are already starting to plan trips! Anyone got any winter snowboarding trips coming up?

Also, as far as big trips go, we're eyeing Bozeman, Mt Hood, and Breckenridge right now. Any super sweet places to consider?

Winter is coming up again!! I know its a while from now, but I've actually progressed to being able to do blue/black in Colorado and black in PA. My friends are already starting to plan trips! Anyone got any winter snowboarding trips coming up?

Also, as far as big trips go, we're eyeing Bozeman, Mt Hood, and Breckenridge right now. Any super sweet places to consider?

Yep, in Feb. a couple of us (no one from the forum) are going to Snowshoe in WV. We went last year and it was a blast.

Ive been to snowshoe once for a church thing (got invited by a friend didnt cost me a thing!!) First time skiing (was told skiing is easier to start out hard to perfect where as snowboarding is harder to start easier to perfect?) I loved that place and had a blast I was doing blues and blacks on my second day. I love the speed and the wipe outs are pretty awesome too lol I'm wanting to go to Perfect North this year and do some skiing hopefully works out :D

Mt Hood is great and you can even go in July if you like. Other places to consider might be Lake Tahoe or when you get a few years experience Heli-boarding in Alaska.

• 1 month later...

We decided and booked our trip to Bozeman Montana! With a side trip of snowmobiling and snow shoe hiking through Yellowstone. Going in January, so hopefully I can get a few other trips in before all the snow melts. I think we're shooting for a Mt. Hood trip in April/May.

I would try to put together OR at snowtrails or mad river, but I don't think the weather knows its winter yet.

Heading to summit county in Colorado feb 17-22. Staying in Breckenridge cause the town is cool but probably board at copper, a-basin, and keystone. Maybe one day at breck since we are already there. Summit county has to be some of the best boarding in the world. Breck, copper, a-basin, vail, loveland, and beaver creek all within 45 minutes of each other. The back bowl at A-basin is my favorite place to board. Can't wait.