Subaru guys...

kizzzzle

There are many cars with tranny issues. If its not intended to make big hp then its going to break at some point when you push that hp through it. I will give you that AWD cars are a bit rougher on them. HP + traction(slicks, awd whatever) will act all the same.

Buy an 02 and a transmission. Seems like it might be worth your while. Then you shouldnt have to worry about that again.

What was it you were just telling me you had to replace?

Oh, that's right...

[01:23] joneze93tsi: A4 is running better than ever.

[01:23] joneze93tsi: I think the dv was leaking slowly for a while.

Case in point, look at the DSM. It is one of the first AWD Turbo cars out there that actually sold in any kind of quantity, and its known for its lack of reliability.

The point though, is that you are taking a power adder, that is very easy to get more power out of, then coupling it to a driveline that doesn't allow tire spin. SOMETHING is going to let go. In the early WRX's, its the transmission. As said above, in the STI's it is the rear axle shafts. Jones became an Audi snob, but he even knows not to own one without a warranty.

Hey jackhole, what is a DV ?

A Diverter Valve aka recirculating blow off valve. Has nothing to do with AWD, rather the fact that I'm spiking 2x the factory boost on that POS factory valve.

:gtfo:

There are many cars with tranny issues. If its not intended to make big hp then its going to break at some point when you push that hp through it. I will give you that AWD cars are a bit rougher on them. HP + traction(slicks, awd whatever) will act all the same.

Buy an 02 and a transmission. Seems like it might be worth your while. Then you shouldnt have to worry about that again.

You can either get a stock trans out of a junkyard for $2500 that will have the same problem, or you can get a basic upgraded one for $5,000. If you want the cool shit like dog gears, I think its around $7500. I guarantee I can break a stock transmission in a stock '02 WRX, just with a full set of slicks and a couple hard launches at the drag strip.

And JaSSon is talking about breaking stock transmissions on stock TB SS's. And that's ALREADY an upgraded transmission from the factory. If you want to make any AWD system out there dead reliable, cap the engine at 100hp and call it a day.

Hey Shawn, how many rentals did you beat on while you owned your last Audi? Oh, and I'm not just pointing out that the driveline is the only part of a turbo AWD that suffers breakage, everything related to the turbo is prone to give out too. Whats the average life expectancy of any given turbo? 100k miles? What happens when your factory IC catches a big enough rock and cracks? What happens when a leak develops somewhere else? All of a sudden, its like driving a civic. But hey, better gas mileage!

You can either get a stock trans out of a junkyard for $2500 that will have the same problem, or you can get a basic upgraded one for $5,000. If you want the cool shit like dog gears, I think its around $7500. I guarantee I can break a stock transmission in a stock '02 WRX, just with a full set of slicks and a couple hard launches at the drag strip.

And JaSSon is talking about breaking stock transmissions on stock TB SS's. And that's ALREADY an upgraded transmission from the factory. If you want to make any AWD system out there dead reliable, cap the engine at 100hp and call it a day.

Hey Shawn, how many rentals did you beat on while you owned your last Audi? Oh, and I'm not just pointing out that the driveline is the only part of a turbo AWD that suffers breakage, everything related to the turbo is prone to give out too. Whats the average life expectancy of any given turbo? 100k miles? What happens when your factory IC catches a big enough rock and cracks? What happens when a leak develops somewhere else? All of a sudden, its like driving a civic. But hey, better gas mileage!

We are not counting the A6....the A4 and S8 are bulletproofs!!!!!!!

;)

Thanks for all the input everyone, gave me a ton of insight and feel free to keep it coming. My price range is basically whatever I am able to sell my car for which I am guessing (hoping) will be right around 13-14K. I have been lookin on autotrader and I want one that will have around 50-65ishK which seems to be puttting me right around that 13K range which seems to be the 2002-2003's. I will keep looking, let me know if anyone comes across some good deals.

Just looked at the LegacyGt's and I just can't see myself driving around in one, but thanks for the suggestion. Getting on Nasioc now.

Go test drive a LGT Sedan, and then tell me you don't see yourself driving around in it.

You will love the fact you have 250HP from the factory, and have leather seats, heated seats, dual climate, possibly Nav, Sunroof, etc...

If your used to a WRX the LGT will feel quite soft. But it's a better RIDE yet less handling. But that does not mean it can't handle.

Stage 1 is a nice upgrade also.

Out of all the car's I've tuned the LGT felt like it woke up the most. Also after driving LGT's so much lately I want one :(.

Want to buy my bug eye ;0

I'm a first time Subaru owner and I couldn't be happier with the car. ZERO issues.

It is the best all around car I've ever owned. DD, drag strip, curvies... they're all fun. Hell... even winter. :lol:

My LGT was rather soft from the factory as Eric2112 stated.... but for a little $$ and some elbow grease, they do transform rather nicely.

Mine is mildly modified... Stg. 2.5 with springs..... and I love it.

stage 2.5 = what? on a WRX thats a vf39 no injectors

Dynoed it ? sorry I've got a intrest in the LGT's as I'm debating on getting one myself.

Stage 2.5 on LGT is Up/Down, Turbo Back, TMIC, protune.

From what I hear you can see between 240 and 290 at the wheels.

AWD does have nothing to do with it. I've had 2 AWD vehicles, 3000GT making over 400hp on stock drivetrain and the S4 making well over 400ft/lbs also on all stock drivetrain.

DSM's i think got a bad name because most of the owners being cheap/young etc. not necessarily shitty parts.

Diverter valves do not = drivetrain :)

Ragtop: "HP + traction(slicks, awd whatever) will act all the same." <- Truth

stage 2.5 = what? on a WRX thats a vf39 no injectors

Dynoed it ? sorry I've got a intrest in the LGT's as I'm debating on getting one myself.

I've got catless up / Cobb catted down / Perrin TMIC / AVO adjustable wastegate actuator / 17.5 psi boost target / exhaust

No dyno #'s .....

We'll see what I get for it, I am just sick of the lude and am looking for a fun 4 door that can get me where I need to go. I also need a change up from the boring FWD and figure in winter it will be way more fun and safer... but wayyy more fun. Thorne is letting me test out his WRX and a Legacy his friends got so I will get to do a miniature Car and Driver review. We'll see how it goes.

• 5 months later...

02 tranny I can break with just 280ft/tq . No launch required.

To be honest if I were you I would look into buying a Gc8 or one that is already swapped. Insurance will be half of what a WRX or LGT would cost and there is just a diffrent level of respect amongst us GC/GF owners. Plus the extra money you save can go towards a swap or mod's if need be.