Timing help

blue98ls1

I started working on my 82 Porsche 928 again, I really want the engine back in the car before winter. This is my very first engine rebuild to this degree and I have never done timing on a car like this, my experiance with timing belts have been on my SVX's and they where incredibly easy to do... unlike this... so I need some help or advice or something from someone who really knows timing.

Basically I got the engine back together, I made sure when I put the engine back together that piston #1 was flush. Someone had told me that would ensure the engine to be TDC. Well I moved the cam sprockets to try to get them to line up and it seems when you turn them to the marks they are in a high spot and the slightest touch they turn and drop. (best way I can explain it) I am guessing it is not suppose to be like that.

Guest mitsumodder
it may be that the valves are slightly open at TDC. I am a master subaru tech and in a WRX motor when at TDC one side of the motors valves are "loaded" and the other are closed. it is going to vary pre vehicle. I would get a manual. or at least set the pistons all even in the middle of the cylinders if this is an interference motor