Speaking of buffers....

SicShelby

Best on the market is going to be Hutchins but, you'll pay for them. Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersoll Rand, Astro Pneumatic, Exhaust Technologies, etc... all make good quality air tools. Makita and Dewalt also make some good electric ones.

If you havn't used a Rotary before I don't suggest picking up and trying to learn on the Shelby.

However you'll be fine with a Porter Cable 7424 Orbital as Hoblick suggested. It's an industry standard machine and there are endless adapters, pads etc made for it to aid in it's use. AND it's the only one I think you'll have a chance at getting your hands on locally. Meguiars has one too, so does DeWalt (438 I think), Griots and there's a similar machine called the UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine) that you may also want to look into but you won't find any of the above locally.

Andy

portal cable is your friend

Yess I've heard good things about the porter cable. No worries though, I'm not going to town on the Shelby first. I'm going to grab a random car in the parking lot and and see how hard it is to burn the paint :-)

Really, I'll use it on my work car first and screw around. It almost looks like the PC is the best buy too - for about $200 or so it looks like you can get most of what you need, to include the pads and everything.

If I use nothing but Zaino I'm not going to need it. Seems like a handy tool to have around anyhow.

Thanks all...

Best on the market is going to be Hutchins but, you'll pay for them. Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersoll Rand, Astro Pneumatic, Exhaust Technologies, etc... all make good quality air tools. Makita and Dewalt also make some good electric ones.

Probably a good electric one will do for now... Once I get a compressor, I'll worry about air drying certain spots; I'll get a light to really see the picky stuff, and probably even get heaters in the winter.

Right now? I'm good with getting started and making the test runs on the work car, as mentioned.

Good information though, thank you for your advice... I can look at these when the garage gets more established :-)

Yess I've heard good things about the porter cable. No worries though, I'm not going to town on the Shelby first. I'm going to grab a random car in the parking lot and and see how hard it is to burn the paint :-)

Really, I'll use it on my work car first and screw around. It almost looks like the PC is the best buy too - for about $200 or so it looks like you can get most of what you need, to include the pads and everything.

If I use nothing but Zaino I'm not going to need it. Seems like a handy tool to have around anyhow.

Thanks all...

You'll actually find that you can get a thinnner, more even coat of Zaino on the car if you apply it with a finishing pad (usually gray) and the PC. This will cut down on any potental that Zaino has for streaking.

I did a Shelby that appears to be the same color as yours last weekend and did 2 coats of Z5 topped with Pinnacle Souvran paste wax and it was AMAZING when finished. Dude had some crazy mods done to his car already for only having 1300 miles on it.

Andy

You'll actually find that you can get a thinnner, more even coat of Zaino on the car if you apply it with a finishing pad (usually gray) and the PC. This will cut down on any potental that Zaino has for streaking.

I did a Shelby that appears to be the same color as yours last weekend and did 2 coats of Z5 topped with Pinnacle Souvran paste wax and it was AMAZING when finished. Dude had some crazy mods done to his car already for only having 1300 miles on it.

Andy

I guess my question would be, did you have any trouble with getting a good coat considering that the pad is prone to absorbing more liquid? And it looks like you're going about the same direction that I'm planning (wash, clay, wash, Z5, etc). I'll probably put a couple of coats of Z5 at least, and I want to see how the Z2 tops everything. If I don't get the results I want I'll probably use a different polish and wax, maybe Blackfire and Carnuba.

+1 for using a finishing pad and a PC with Zaino... And again, the Shelby isn't going to be the test car - I'll use my work car first.

I don't see the need for a buffer w/ Zaino unless you are trying to remove surface imperfections. Even then, you would be better off with a PC for the multi-use you will get out of it with things, like Andy stated, finishing pads.

Whether I go the PC route or not, I'll have one for future projects, as mentioned...

I guess my question would be, did you have any trouble with getting a good coat considering that the pad is prone to absorbing more liquid? And it looks like you're going about the same direction that I'm planning (wash, clay, wash, Z5, etc). I'll probably put a couple of coats of Z5 at least, and I want to see how the Z2 tops everything. If I don't get the results I want I'll probably use a different polish and wax, maybe Blackfire and Carnuba.

The pad does take a couple of pannels to get saturated with product, but it doesn't take nearly as much as you think and once the pad is saturated you use less as you go along. I find I actually end up using less on an entire car using the PC than I do by hand...but it actually takes longer as there are spots you'll have to go back and hit by hand that the PC couldn't get into.

• 1 month later...