Hinkley Jr. to be paroled?

Science Abuse

Even got a motivational letter from the McCains:

My wife and I wanted to drop you a short note to tell you how pleased we are with the great strides you are making in your recovery. In our fine country's new spirit of understanding and forgiveness, we want you to know there is a bilateral consensus of compassion and forgiveness throughout.

My wife Cindy and I want you to know that no grudge is borne against you for shooting President Reagan. We, above all, are aware of how the mental stress and pain could have driven you to such an act of desperation. We are confident that you will soon make a complete recovery and return to your family to join the world again as a healthy and productive young man.

Best Wishes,

John and Cindy McCain

P.S.: Barack Obama has been humping the crap out of Jodie Foster. I thought you should know

actually this case (Hinckley's) caused almost the entire nation to reform its insanity laws in court. several states completely did away with insanity as an excuse.

Not almost, it actually did: the Insanity Defense Reform Act (IDRA) of 1984 was essentially a direct result of the Hinkley case/verdict. The IDRA of 1984 resulted in the burden of proof (to prove insanity) being placed on the defense (as opposed to the burder being on the prosecution to prove sanity) and that the standard of proof to be raised to clear and convincing evidence (as opposed to simply a preponderance of the evidence, a less-stringent burden of proof). It also resulted in other things (e.g., prohibiting experts from offering an opinion on ultimate issues), but the aforementioned are the major changes.

IIRC, there are four states that do not afford criminals an insanity defense (i.e., they abolished it): Kansas, Montana, Idaho, and Utah.