2001 Sentra - Misfire.

SicShelby

The wifey's car is misfiring definitely. When it idles you can tell that there is one cylinder not in tune with everything... You can smell gas, so it's definitely running rich. I would say that one cylinder isn't getting spark.

I've pulled and replaced the spark plugs, and no change. There are no spark plug wires; the coil packs are attached on top of the spark plugs. The connections are all clean. The wife said that there wasn't a noticeable change when she was driving (like a clunk, or something), and that it just started to run funny.

I'm going to AutoZone to have the CEL code pulled, and I'll post what it says within the hour.

Anyone have any advice? 2001 Nissan Sentra SE 1.8L.

Thanks,

Gabe

Guest Removed
they like to kill coil's. code read it via auto zone...get the miss fire code(like 301 thru 304) 1 thru 4 is each cylinder. if its 301 move that coil to 4 or 3, clear the codes. redrive. if its the coild it will move...you could also ohm the coils out and see which one it is.

they like to kill coil's. code read it via auto zone...get the miss fire code(like 301 thru 304) 1 thru 4 is each cylinder. if its 301 move that coil to 4 or 3, clear the codes. redrive. if its the coild it will move...you could also ohm the coils out and see which one it is.

Thanks Rob - I did pull the code and it was misfiring on 2. Switched the coil out with another, erased the code, and then drove around waiting for the CEL to come back on. It did, and sure as shit, misfire on 3. Switched out the 3 cylinder coil and it's back to new!

I'm glad this wasn't something major :-)

get her a new car you have a shelby gt500.

She doesn't want one. She named her car, and it's VERY personal to her, haha, so I'm happy :-) I have what I want, she has what she wants...

And... what do you mean wrong order (Steven)?...

Gabe

She doesn't want one. She named her car, and it's VERY personal to her, haha, so I'm happy :-) I have what I want, she has what she wants...

And... what do you mean wrong order (Steven)?...

Gabe

what i meant is that there is a pattern going like this 4321 on your coil becuase last time i replaced new coils for my buddy's. I made his car stalling pretty bad untill i figured out there are numbers on side of engine. It show which coils should match up the right holes

Guest Removed
what i meant is that there is a pattern going like this 4321 on your coil becuase last time i replaced new coils for my buddy's. I made his car stalling pretty bad untill i figured out there are numbers on side of engine. It show which coils should match up the right holes

IMO. when it comes to 4 bangers, if your your not smart enough to know that #1 is at the crank pulley and #4 is at the trans end , then you should just close the hood and find someone that knows what there doing!

Well... it doesn't really matter considering that there's an individual coil pack for each cylinder, and that they're interchangeable (on THIS car). I could understand if you have a distributor with wires going to each cylinder, or one centralized coil - sure, you could screw up the cylinders/order in that respect.

In this case, if a coil is bad on one cylinder (doesn't matter if it's one, two, three, four, because each spark plug has its own coil), just take the coil off the cylinder that's missing, move it, and see if it misses on the cylinder you moved it to, like Rob said...

At any rate, problem solved. Thanks for the advice, all, I'm done here. Glad, once again, that it was a coil and not a pressure problem, etc...

Gabe