Oh shit

Miller

Thanks for the info guys, ARP's are on lock and so are the MLS gaskets.

Miller you do 1.7rockers on your setup?..

Not yet but I'm probably popping them in there when I remove my heads in the upcoming weeks. I'm upgrading all the way down.

Rob is right too, with my cam I'll have to be careful.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
In Buick V6s the crankshaft is what gives first. A lot of the time you can blow the crank into multiple chunks and the block will still be alright.

We call it the DOTC club (drove over the crank).

in that case how is a block girdles going to help? really think about it? that crank will break with or without the the girdle there. but the more the block flex's, the more the crank will flex! im sure the motors with girdles handle more the without, but either way forged cranks FTW!

Guest Removed
Not yet but I'm probably popping them in there when I remove my heads in the upcoming weeks. I'm upgrading all the way down.

Rob is right too, with my cam I'll have to be careful.

after market pistons would be no worries. either way, still needs checked. 1.7's are mostly used to make a small cam bigger. making a big cam bigger is not always best for the valve train

Should i just expect to pop my motor? stock 93, stock heads/cam, tf intake, less than 10 lbs of boost.

Dunno Ramsey, at least get it tuned. Chads cars are holding up I thought.

I had a conversation with Mike last night and it had been bothering me, so I got to googling and some of my magazines regarding the "Cobra".

"While all 1982-1993 Canadian-export Mustangs did have slight differences from their U.S. counterparts, the biggest source of confusion for most people always seems to be regarding the 1984-1992 Canadian Mustang GT’s due to the addition of the word “Cobra” to their name by Ford of Canada."

"The addition of the “Cobra” name leads many people to believe that these cars have additional performance equipment or special features over a regular U.S. GT, but that is NOT the case."

"First of all, let’s get the proper terminology straight, because this is the key to generating the least amount of confusion about these cars… all 1984–1992 Mustang GT’s sold in Canada were marketed as “Mustang Cobra GT’s” by Ford."

So that's what it's all aboot ay.

Guest Removed
Should i just expect to pop my motor? stock 93, stock heads/cam, tf intake, less than 10 lbs of boost.

at some point im sure...put the screws to it, even on a perfect tune it will break. lots of people stay on the safe side and hardly have issue's. things are going to break regardless.

in that case how is a block girdles going to help? really think about it? that crank will break with or without the the girdle there. but the more the block flex's, the more the crank will flex! im sure the motors with girdles handle more the without, but either way forged cranks FTW!

The crank will break much easier with the main caps moving.

I'll use a friends car for an example, he had a girdled stock crank motor with billet mains. He beat on this motor for 10 years running 10 second ETs. It finally let go on the dyno, tossed the crank into three different chunks, nuked a piston so bad it was just chunks of metal. Even split the case of the transmission. The block was tested afterward and has since been rebuilt, the car currently runs high 9s with it.

Without a girdle on that motor there is no way the main caps would have stayed in for that much abuse. Sure, he probably should have had a better crank in it (and I'm pretty sure he went to an aftermarket one this time around), but that's a lot more money than getting a stock one that will live through some serious abuse turned. As far as I remember, back then there weren't all that many options for Buick crankshafts, either. Hell, there still aren't that many.

Though, with improvements brought around by people like my friend blowing shit up, stock block cars are almost in the 8s, whereas ten years ago getting into the 10s without joining the DOTC club was almost unheard of.

Anyway, enough rambling - the point is without the girdle you are MUCH more likely to toss the crankshaft. Grated, that isn't really the same problem as five liters have, since the weak link there is the block itself, but with Buick V6s, girdles are the shit.

Guest Removed
So a safe tune is really what i need look for? My plan is just to do gaskets and studs, should i need the girdles and shit aswell?

no not at 400...stay away from spark knock and you'll be fine.

So a safe tune is really what i need look for? My plan is just to do gaskets and studs, should i need the girdles and shit aswell?

Adding a girdle to a five liter seems like a moot point to me, the block itself is what fails, so why spend the extra money on machine work to have it girdled?

Roll like dyno Brian - safe. You can make big numbers without leaning on it too hard.

Guest Removed
I should be safe with the stock cam tho correct? I know Ill need new valve covers.

which stock cam? e or b? valve covers are hit or miss. most of the time i make the stock ones clear with minor work. best way to test it is put the rockers on and set the valve covers on and roll the motor over a few times.

Guest Removed
Ford guys ever use knock sensor readings?

Seems like us Buick guys are the only people that keep an eye on that.

well if 5.0s had them...but we dont. always used them in gm's tho.:p

which stock cam? e or b? valve covers are hit or miss. most of the time i make the stock ones clear with minor work. best way to test it is put the rockers on and set the valve covers on and roll the motor over a few times.

No Idea, Out of a 91gt totally stock.

I figure I can pick up some taller ones off craigslist or ebay for cheap just incase.