Granite Counters Anyone???

PrincessPratt

Well I've decided to add some new counter tops to my kitchen. I know there are tons of people on here who have done lots of fun things to their homes. Does anyone have granite...chorion (think that's how it's spelled)? I'm open to other things than granite but I want to put something a bit "higher" end to increase resale value. If you have granite do u like it? Any issues? Also does anyone have any particular vendor in Columbus that they have been especially pleased with. I know lots of questions but it is me starting this thread. ;)

Oh one more thing....the doc that's in my practice has been looking for a new home with his new fiance. He said that people are starting to put in "concrete" counter tops. I haven't seen any of these but was just throwing that out there.

i can't remember the actual name of the concrete counter tops but i saw them in a house on one of the house flipping shows. it's like a layer of concrete and then they layer on a resin or some type of acrylic and it ends up having the look and feel of granite...but about half of the cost of actual granite and i think they said the concrete counters add almost the same value to the kitchen as granite. sounds like its worth looking into.

i can't remember the actual name of the concrete counter tops but i saw them in a house on one of the house flipping shows. it's like a layer of concrete and then they layer on a resin or some type of acrylic and it ends up having the look and feel of granite...but about half of the cost of actual granite and i think they said the concrete counters add almost the same value to the kitchen as granite. sounds like its worth looking into.

Ya that's what I've read thus far. The houses he's looking at are 1 mil plus so I'm gonna look into it. I'm just trying to see if anyone actually has this stuff in their homes so I can get actual feedback.

Granite is expensive and you have to remember while countertops are one of the single best investments in a kitchen you might not always make back the money you put in. Alternatives like quartz or cement can provide as high a return at a lower cost. Cement can sometimes be more expensive though. One of the most important things is to remember you just don't want the countertops to look like crap when you go to sell. Cracked or stained stone countertops are no better than cut up laminate. There are other green alternatives such as glass which look really nice, but they are expensive as well.

Edited by fusion

My sister had her granite counters done by L&E Stone in Columbus. They tend to be cheaper than a lot of other granite places b/c they use 1/2" granite backed with 1/2" plywood (most use 1" granite). Granite done this way can easily be installed by homeowners, too. IDK which is a better way to do it but my sister's counters look really nice...

http://lestonekitchen.com/index.htm L&E Stone