Turbo and Carb, Please Teach Me

BDHG940

or C&S carbs

Occasionally, I have a blowthrough 66/67 gto

Blew the engine last time out - putting it back together

It's not easy....nor cheap...nor reliable (yet...for me...at least...)

There are a dozen different very particular factors with a turbo car to worry about....any one of which will make your engine a coffee table

Ask someone if their turbo car is running....the answer is, "Well, it's a turbo car...so...sometimes"

I may upgrade to a CSU carb this winter, and will have a spare 750 blowthrough carb

Also have headers and intake setup for a turbo sbc

But carb basics:

A small carb can live on a large engine, compared to na

A smallblock 500 HP engine with a turbo might need a 650 - could probably go smaller

a 750 holley will support 800 or 900 HP

Basically, take a holley and change the parts inside it to withstand boost (nitrophyll floats that won't collapse) and it'll work. MIght not work well.

There's a page called "hanger 18" that tells you a lot of the 'accepted' modifications to a holley that work very well. Anyone competent with a holley could potentially do them

That's assuming you run a carb hat.

You can put a carb in an enclosed box that will pressurize the entire carb, and not need to do a lot of modifications. But they don't run as well as one with a hat. And the box is expensive...and a pain if you want to do modifications

BG and Demon, I believe....even make blowthrough carbs now - new

But i hear they're more of a headache than they're worth - try your own first and learn about it

I was over on that turbo mustangs site but they have me so mad I dont even want to post up there. I have build turbo cars before so I know the function is just that I have never done anything with a carb. Its my dads car and he will not research. I think Im going to talk with him and see if he wants to do a fuel injection setup maybe instead to get it reliable.

that photo above, no intercooler? Is that your car? I would think if that was a street car the iat would be up there

my dad is always doing concourse restorations on the camaros and he finally picked up a car for the right price and said if I help we can do whatever. thought it would be fun to do a twin setup on a sbc and some suspension/brakes/wheels/etc. Just trying to get things together and ideas to run by him

Guest Removed

turbo forums is where all the info you well need will be.

and if you build some backyard shit, like above. you can almost plan on it being a coffee table most of the time.

fuel system(BR), ignition so on etc(not some stock HEI crap).

creep up on the tune up! keep timing under and slowly step up into it!

csu is has some nice carbs and great tech help!

on TF there is a nice readup on building your own blow thru, but if you know nothing of carbs, dont even try it! there is tons of info there, but its tons of reading.

now as far as no intercooler goes, water or meth injection are 2 ways of doing it!

IMO lsx swap and a nice TT kit! and you feel brave, carb it and turbo it!

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51153.0

...meth injection might be easier than an intercooler

here's the motor I just blew up

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5586/newestturbomk3.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/newestturbomk3.jpg/1/w1077.png

and i see why it blew up!

:eek:

Edited by Removed