1995 S10 again...

SicShelby

So threw the new starter in and it cranks, but won't start. Can get it to run for a few seconds feeding starter fluid in the intake, but won't run without it. The truck was sitting for about a week or so until we got the new starter in it. Rob - thought I'd add that this a red truck.

Any ideas?

What motor?

4.3s require quite a bit of fuel pressure to start. If it runs when you're spraying starter fluid, but not without, it's pretty obviously a fuel issue. What is the fuel pressure at the rail? Can you hear the pump prime? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

What motor?

4.3s require quite a bit of fuel pressure to start. If it runs when you're spraying starter fluid, but not without, it's pretty obviously a fuel issue. What is the fuel pressure at the rail? Can you hear the pump prime? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

It's a 2.2L. Fuel issue definitely. This truck belongs to a friend - he says he can hear the fuel pump. The tank was almost empty when we changed out the starter and he had some gas in a fuel can that he threw in there after. I want to say that there's some condensation in the fuel and he added some dry gas, but it didn't help. I want to say the fuel filter is the next step, and move on from there.

I won't be able to get under it until Tuesday or so but I want a game plan before I start.

Don't know when the fuel filter was last replaced; haven't checked the pressure yet.

the fuel lines could be froze up if it was run real low on gas

can you get it inside somewhere warm?

I kind of thought that too... he tried to get it running last Friday when it was warm out but it didn't make a difference. I was hoping it would have been warm enough to thaw the lines. Still a chance though... he's going to get it in a garage this week.

If it's almost empty just siphon it, doesn't hurt to try it maybe he'll luck out and it's bad gas. I doubt it, but it's basically free to do.

Sounds like you know where to look... get to it. :p

Okay... I'll see about getting that gas out of there. I think it's a slim chance too considering that he put the gas dry in there, but like you said, if it's almost empty might as well... and start cheap and move on to the more expensive replacements.

I'll keep you all posted... here's some other ponders - I know on Ford's they have the fuel shut-off's. Do GM vehicles have this? Past that I think there's a fuse for the fuel pump, I'll check that. Next to that I want to replace the fuel filter and if any of this doesn't work... start checking the fuel pump I guess??

Couple of things are eating at me - how could the truck go from running (while the starter was wearing out), to cranking and not running after a new starter was put in? That doesn't make sense. I can understand a clogged filter, but if that was the case the truck would be stuttering (and wanting to catch), and if the fuel pump was going bad it would again, run rough.

The truck is cranking but just not catching - at all. So there has to be some kind of fuse or relay, or something, that interrupted this process all of the sudden, know what I mean? Honestly, does that make sense??

Yah getting spark. It will actually run for a few seconds after you feed starter fluid through the intake. Everything is connected good on the starter, for sure... if I missed something there it wouldn't even be turning over. So, I'm past the starter - it turns over... now I have to figure out why it cranks but doesn't run.

Okay got the fuel pressure tester/gauge before the fuel filter, after the fuel pump. There's nothing, not even an inkling. Before I drop the fuel tank, do you know how to test relays, and any idea where exactly they're located? There's a couple of relays in the glove compartment and three mounted on the firewall in the engine bay.

Input appreciated.

Gabe

Easiest way is to test voltage at the pump.

I haven't had to do a fuel pump on mine yet, but they say it's easier to remove the bed than it is to drop the tank.

With a 95 the relay should be in the glove box.

Haha yeah I can almost see that... I have the straps off right now and am working on the dropping the tank. As far as I can tell the relay is in the glove box too. I'll see if I can't get enough room to drop the tank to get to the connectors.

I see... looks like the ground wire is doing well. I just got the tank down far enough to start looking at stuff... taking a dinner break and then I'll be back. I'm going to definitely check the wires. Taking the tank down without removing the bed is doing well :-)

Gabe

Well... we managed to get the fuel tank out actually really easily. So, it's out. Next step? We hooked up the multimeter to the connection leading to the fuel pump, it read about 8.3 volts or so.

dont bench test the pump if it gets to that. DONT DO IT

Okay, don't bench test the pump, meaning don't connect a positive lead right? Got it. Now... I need to trace down the fuel relay. One manual says it's on the firewall on the passenger side... another one says it's in the glove compartment. Where is this thing?

Edited by SicShelby