tuning software question

lawnman

Which cold air kit are you using. Any cold air kit on your 06 GT will require a tune as the maf curve gets thrown out of wack any time you change the way air flows across the meter. Some of the handheld programmers have tunes in them for specific cai's but even then they can be off a little. A custom tune is definately the way to go but as long as you are using a handheld that is designed to work with your cold air kit you should be fine. Also keep in mind that if you are thinking about using the preloaded tunes now and a possible tune later, you want to make sure that there is someone that has the software to tune the handheld you purchased. I recommend the SCT X3 as we are a SCT Custom tuning dealer. We also have calibrator level access which gives us the ability to tune all of the drive by wire functions as well.

It is a k-n cai. I heard you do not have to change the tune with this brand of cai , is this true ?

The K&N kit is pretty decent but they still tend to be off a litttle. The last Mustang I did with one was lean all the way across the board. I have also seen them fat down low and then transfer over to lean up top on the same car. This is fine on the stock tune as it can be leaned out a little to pick up power any way. The problems come when you put a programmer on there that leans the a/f out even further and you were already lean from the cai to begin with. Without tuning the car and correcting the maf, the computer thinks it is fatter than what it really is and timing and is adding in spark based on what it thinks a/f is. If you are leaner than what the computer thinks it is, this can be a bad thing.