Touching up

Guest mitsumodder

Guest mitsumodder
I have a deep chip in my fender about 1/8" diameter. It is rusty where you can see metal. I have touch up. What steps can I take to do a primo touch up job. I am trying to figure out how to grind the rust out before hand, basically. Any tips?

They make a sanding pen that is basically a bunch of glass fibers grouped tightly together like a really stiff brush. They work pretty good, as long as it is light rust, no serious pits or anything. I have used it with good results for rock chips, etc.

Try this..... http://www.newmantools.com/preppen.htm

Autozone (or any other auto parts store for that matter) sells a scratch/chip repair kit by 3M. It's like $12-$15 and comes with the brush mentioned above, 3 types of fine grit sand paper, a little buffing pad that hooks to your cordless drill, a packet of paint cleaner and polish. It's a complete DIY kit, all you have to do is get the touch up paint. Someone keyed the side of my car pretty bad and I used this kit as a long shot fix. But it worked GREAT!!! the scratch is completely gone. After I saw what a great job it did on the side of my car I used it touch up the old rock chips on the hood of my car. I highly recommend this product. If you follow the directions and take your time you won't be disappointed!