Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

ImUrOBGYN

You guys forget that the biggest drug dealers in the world are pharmaceutical companies. There is not money in the cure. The money is in drugs that let you "cope/live with it".

Think about it for a minute... if there was a cure for aids how much would it cost? 1 million 2 million?

As kirks5oh said 10K a year on drugs to just make your life last a few more years. 10K * 10 years is 1.2 million. What if they came up with drugs that would let you live for 50 years without dying from aids. 6 million dollars per person. Times the number of infected people = more money then just curing everyone.

This isn't a conspiracy theory this is just plain math.

What part of my post do you not understand?

I would like to point out that all meds that these companies make, they only own them for a few years until they have to turn over the info so they can be made generic. They pour in a billion or so to get it approved by the FDA, they only have a few years to make it back before it goes Generic, so your cash cow theory does not hold water.

It's the generic companies that have the long term interest, and don't have to spend a billion or so in FDA approval. They sit back and get handed the formula. If there is a long term plan to sell a drug it is with the generic companies. Although they are not the ones spending the money coming up with new drugs and doing the research. Trust me Pfizer, Sanofi-Aventis, AstraZeneca, and local employer Abbott Laboratories have no plans long term to sell a drug, they only get to do so in this country for a few years. Then it's off to another drug. After all they are "Drug companies". But by all means let's bash them, and compare them to "illegal drug dealers" I mean when one of their long discovered drugs saves the life of a one of your children or loved ones, you should spit in the face of the companies that developed these drugs.

My wife gave an experimental drug to a young woman recently who had 4 daughters and a husband away in the military. She became septic for some reason and was not responding to any current treatment, and was on a vent with 2 major organs going into failure. She was not expected to live, her daughters begged my wife for the drug, she qualified for the clinical trial and she walked out of that hospital. It was her last hope. This is why I'm sure my wife loves her job, even though there are some patients that don't make it. It must be so rewarding to help a family like this. But oh wait these manufacturers are bastards.

The money scam is not as much on the physicians side as it is on the Pharm side. The pharm companies make billions from vaccines every year, they just pimp the product through a bunch of guys that do what they are told. Why should the MD's question it anyhow, it is a great source of patient flow. Kind of like a pimp and whore relationship, the whore just does what she is told (guidelines) or she gets beat up (license revocation).

clueless=you

doctors' offices make next to nothing from vaccination visits. i know this because the last time we had this argument i talked with several pediatrician friends.

clueless=you

doctors' offices make next to nothing from vaccination visits. i know this because the last time we had this argument i talked with several pediatrician friends.

:D

And you still cant read.

wow, you are so original.. I think that is only the 100th time you have confused what I do with an MT.

That is like me comparing you to this.

http://www.campnet.net/detroit-mi/campphotos/MeatButcher.jpg

Edited by HAOLE

I would like to point out that all meds that these companies make, they only own them for a few years until they have to turn over the info so they can be made generic. They pour in a billion or so to get it approved by the FDA, they only have a few years to make it back before it goes Generic, so your cash cow theory does not hold water.

I would have to disagree, because the drug will only be available for specific set of years before the patent expires, I believe that would encourage a company to draw out those years as much as possible, than make slight improvements in order to bring out a new drug that is mildly more effective, or has less side effects, or whatever. I don't know these things, nor do I claim them to be fact, I just think it makes business sense. Just watch the pharm commercials ... it is a product, they wouldn't want to lose your "business" anymore than your cable company wants to.

The actual cost of the drugs is not the problem

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080105140107.htm

ScienceDaily (Jan. 7, 2008) — A new study by two York University researchers estimates the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spends almost twice as much on promotion as it does on research and development, contrary to the industry’s claim.

http://hms.harvard.edu/public/news/ss0808/090108_soumerai.html

Currently, the United States and New Zealand are the only countries that allow drug companies to advertise directly to consumers.
Edited by LJ