LCD vs. Plasma--Part Deuce

Fonzie

Doin' some more lookin', and wanted your guys' opinions again please, as I thought the last thread was very informative, but think it was lost when the site crashed. Pretty much had my mind made up on LCD, but salesman made point of tellin'/showin' me how plasma screens are glass, but LCD's are plastic, like laptops.....When you press on them or rub your finger across the screen, it briefly leaves a pressure point or trail. His point being that they're easier to break. Bear in mind I've got 2 teens, a tween & a toddler

Any truth to this, or just a sales ploy.....As he was HEAVILY steering me toward Panasonic plasma they have on special. When I told him I've not had good luck with the longevity of Panasonic products in the past, he went so far as to pull up Consumer Reports to show me their reviews of said TV.

He also claimed plasmas were better for sports, as less likely for "trails".....Yet when I stated I thought they'd fixed that problem the last several years, & asked him which of their LCD's he could show me trails on, he replied "none" right now. I just don't like the glare on the plasma screen. Any difference in the picture quality I may or may not have noticed was negated by the distraction of the glare.

His offering was the Panasonic TH46PZ85U though the closest thing he had for me to look at was a Pan "several notches down". I keep being drawn by a Sanyo DP46848. The whites are very bright, which also seems to affect the blues & greens, and the picture catches my eye everytime I go to look at it

Edited by Fonzie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stay clear of plasma because I also play video games and watch to much espn. I have seen the burning effect of plasma if the same thing is shown to much.. My friends plasma has espn scrolling burnt on the bottom of his plasma.

We just got a 65" 1080p DLP last year but... If I was going to buy a new TV it would be the new LED DLPs. DLPs are not big and bulky anymore.. The Samsung 67" LED DLP has a depth of 15.5" and is WAY cheaper than plasma or LCD...

Fonzie...I just bought a plasma a couple months back. And for those of you who really know me know exactly how much research I put into larger purchases. IF you are putting the TV in a room with TONS of sunlight then you will definitely need an LCD. Plasmas don't do as well with glare. I didn't thus I was fortunately able to purchase a plasma. The color is out of this world. Seriously! And I love to watch tons of ESPN and speed channel (just throwing that in there for the post above). I purchased a 1080P vs a 720p (which is the same as a 1080i). Right now there's not much of a reason to purchase a 1080p UNLESS you are going to use blue ray. They will say it doesn't make that much of a difference but I actually made several sales people put in a blue ray DVD in the 1080p and 720p and believe me there is a BIG difference. Plus hopefully in the next few years they will be able to broadcast in 1080p. Right now all those HD stations we have on our Direct TV is only 1080i not 1080p. I love my plasma. Life span for both the plasma and LCD is exactly the same (about 10 years). You're going to also pay a few hundred more for the LCD also.

And for that other comment above. I have SCREEN BURN PROTECTION on my TV with pixel shift. You can set it up for however many minutes you want your TV to shift to prevent pixel burn.

I hope some of this helps. Oh also I always buy the 3 or 4 year protection plans. It will pay for anything that happens to your TV. I have a 65 inch DLP (I know but it's like 5 years old...hehehe) and the bulb burned out after 2 years. I hadn't bought the protection plan that would have only cost $299. well the bulb cost me $259 from Ebay. My color wheel went out on it a week b/f the1 year manufacturers warrently expired. I know this is a DLP vs my wonderful plasma but the point is things can and usually do go wrong at some point with the TV's. I know it's more money but if you have to get the TV fixed it's so much more money. Anyhoo that's my input. ;)

Doin' some more lookin', and wanted your guys' opinions again please, as I thought the last thread was very informative, but think it was lost when the site crashed. Pretty much had my mind made up on LCD, but salesman made point of tellin'/showin' me how plasma screens are glass, but LCD's are plastic, like laptops.....When you press on them or rub your finger across the screen, it briefly leaves a pressure point or trail. His point being that they're easier to break. Bear in mind I've got 2 teens, a tween & a toddler

Any truth to this, or just a sales ploy.....As he was HEAVILY steering me toward Panasonic plasma they have on special. When I told him I've not had good luck with the longevity of Panasonic products in the past, he went so far as to pull up Consumer Reports to show me their reviews of said TV.

He also claimed plasmas were better for sports, as less likely for "trails".....Yet when I stated I thought they'd fixed that problem the last several years, & asked him which of their LCD's he could show me trails on, he replied "none" right now. I just don't like the glare on the plasma screen. Any difference in the picture quality I may or may not have noticed was negated by the distraction of the glare.

His offering was the Panasonic TH46PZ85U though the closest thing he had for me to look at was a Pan "several notches down". I keep being drawn by a Sanyo DP46848. The whites are very bright, which also seems to affect the blues & greens, and the picture catches my eye everytime I go to look at it

I stay clear of plasma because I also play video games and watch to much espn. I have seen the burning effect of plasma if the same thing is shown to much.. My friends plasma has espn scrolling burnt on the bottom of his plasma.

We just got a 65" 1080p DLP last year but... If I was going to buy a new TV it would be the new LED DLPs. DLPs are not big and bulky anymore.. The Samsung 67" LED DLP has a depth of 15.5" and is WAY cheaper than plasma or LCD...

I have a DLP in my bedroom and a plasma downstairs. The picture quality CANNOT be compared. The plasma is a better picture by far. If you search around and know how to bargain you can get a great price. I only paid $1500 for a 50" plasma 1080P (has tons of other options too) with a 5 year extended warrantly....and that was out the door pricing. ;) My DLP was $2200 about 4 or 5 years ago and that's without the warranty. And by the way I have the HD package from Direct TV so with like 100 HD stations there seriously is a big difference even in that with pic quality. I would NEVER by a DLP again but I'm keeping it b/c it feeds my fetish. :D

Also even with the "newer" DLP models you are still going to have some bulk in the back meaning you can't mount it on the wall. I for one don't want my TV taking up floor space. I already have too much crap around my family room as it is.

Edited by PrincessPratt

i had a 42 inch 1080p LCD.. i really liked it until my ex-girlfriend punched it and broke it.. $1,000 to get it fixed.. i could not send it back because the warranty did not cover damages caused by other than electrical or tv failure.. so if your looking for a tv and you have little toddlers running around... or maybe you have an angry girlfriend or wife.. get a plasma. but if you like a screen with no glare go LCD or if you plan on putting it in a room with not alot of sunlight.. go plasma..

i have a samsung 720p 50" plasma and fucking love it..i only paid 900 bucks and people think its a 3000 dollar tv when they see it. i bought my mom a panasonic 50" plasma and i think my samsung has a better pic. keep in mind these tv's are meant to run in HD. regular tv sucks on them imho. i watch nothing but hd shit now. hardly anyhing is in 1080p..wont be for yrs. its a waste of monies.period.the galre issue is overrated with the plasmas, and has a better pic than a lcd. stay away from rear projectors, like a dlp. why do you think they are so cheap, no one wants them. you will be replacing a 400 bulb in 2 -4 ys. for the monies buy a samsung or lg plasma!

why do you think they are so cheap, no one wants them. you will be replacing a 400 bulb in 2 -4 ys. for the monies buy a samsung or lg plasma!

OHHH REALLLY?... The LED DLP doesn't have a wheel or a bulb..

Samsung has overcome the color wheel by replacing it with a network of LED lighting. The LED lighting is comprised of a stationary red, green, and blue color schema. The LED's provide a separate light source for each pixel, which gives the new LED-DLP displays a contrast and brightness that rivals Plasma. However, unlike Plasma technology, this system has no chance of burning in. Using LEDs also allows this rear projection model to dispense of the need for lamps and expensive bulb replacements. Samsung claims their new LEDs will last an astonishing 20,000 hours of operation. This projected time horizon is approximately three times longer than the average life of a bulb.

http://www.gizmocafe.com/tv-video/samsung-led-dlp.aspx

He was likely pushing you towards plasma so hard because plasmas are on their way out. The EU is coming down on plasma TV's pretty hard because they suck so much energy, and if they lose the European market, TV makers won't have much incentive to keep pumping out plasmas. Their TV's are probably on sale because they are trying to clear out stock just in case things go pear-shaped with plasma TV's, not because they are doing you a favor and trying to sell you the best unit for your situation.

As far as durability goes, both TV's are quite fragile. Plasma screens are glass only because they have to be; they hold mixtures of inert gas, something that cheap consumer-level plastic isn't terribly well-suited to do. Suddenly they don't sound too terribly rugged now do they ;) I have never been very friendly with my monitors. I had a habit of punching my old CRT monitor in fits of nerdrage, and it took a while for me to get over that when I bought my first LCD. Since then I have thrown stuff at them on several occasions, such as bottle caps and pencils, and they come out just fine. That's not to say that LCD or plasma will survive a wayward remote control or someone falling into the damn thing.

Also, be wary of buying just based on the image quality you see in the store; retailers love to use all sorts of tricks to make one set look better than another (poor video source, improper calibration, etc). The best thing to do would be to find if another store has the model you're considering on display, and go check it out there. If it looks as good at that store, you're probably safe.

Ultimately, my personal preference would be LCD. The two are fairly close to one another in most regards now, so claims like "plasma is better for sports" are more or less moot points. Hell, I watch hockey in HD on my 37" 1080p LCD and my roommates 42" 1080p LCD all the time, and it looks great on both.

He was likely pushing you towards plasma so hard because plasmas are on their way out. The EU is coming down on plasma TV's pretty hard because they suck so much energy, and if they lose the European market, TV makers won't have much incentive to keep pumping out plasmas. Their TV's are probably on sale because they are trying to clear out stock just in case things go pear-shaped with plasma TV's, not because they are doing you a favor and trying to sell you the best unit for your situation.

As far as durability goes, both TV's are quite fragile. Plasma screens are glass only because they have to be; they hold mixtures of inert gas, something that cheap consumer-level plastic isn't terribly well-suited to do. Suddenly they don't sound too terribly rugged now do they ;) I have never been very friendly with my monitors. I had a habit of punching my old CRT monitor in fits of nerdrage, and it took a while for me to get over that when I bought my first LCD. Since then I have thrown stuff at them on several occasions, such as bottle caps and pencils, and they come out just fine. That's not to say that LCD or plasma will survive a wayward remote control or someone falling into the damn thing.

Also, be wary of buying just based on the image quality you see in the store; retailers love to use all sorts of tricks to make one set look better than another (poor video source, improper calibration, etc). The best thing to do would be to find if another store has the model you're considering on display, and go check it out there. If it looks as good at that store, you're probably safe.

Ultimately, my personal preference would be LCD. The two are fairly close to one another in most regards now, so claims like "plasma is better for sports" are more or less moot points. Hell, I watch hockey in HD on my 37" 1080p LCD and my roommates 42" 1080p LCD all the time, and it looks great on both.

your smoking crack if you think plasmas are on the way out..they were first and dont see them going anywhere..a plasma has a better pic..PERIOD..who cares about energy..i bought the tv to have best pic, not on a basis of which uses more/less power

My $0.02...go buy the cheapest of either that you can find that has the inputs you need, the features that you want and that you think looks good. 99% of people will not be able to tell the difference between an LCD and a Plasma once it is out of the box. The picture quality on both will be great and the 720p/1080p debate is pointless as Pratt pointed out, unless you plan to buy a Blue-Ray player anytime soon, or you have an upscaling DVD player that supports 1080p there is no need for it. The pixelation/blur that you see on both LCD and Plasma is mostly a result of the compression used by the broadcaster on the HD signal, so there is nothing that you can do about it other than switch providers. As far as burn-in on Plasma goes, it is nothing at all like it used to be and there are ways to avoid it.

I own a 42" Vizio 1080P LCD and have recommended them to quite a few people. If I had it to do all over again I'd still go with the LCD, just my personal preference.

your smoking crack if you think plasmas are on the way out..they were first and dont see them going anywhere..a plasma has a better pic..PERIOD..who cares about energy..i bought the tv to have best pic, not on a basis of which uses more/less power

It doesn't matter how good the picture is. If the EU starts imposing strict regulations on plasma TV's, you're going to see a marked decrease in their production and likely a rise in their price. It's just business.

facepalm.jpeg

No shit. If television makers, which are international corporations, have heavy restrictions placed on them in Europe, one of their major markets, they will begin shifting their focus away from plasma in general and towards LCD/OLED tech. It makes poor financial sense to continue producing sets that they cant sell in all markets when they could instead shift production towards a set that can be sold anywhere.

Also, California is going to start placing restrictions on plasma TV's as well that are more strict than the EU standards.

Okaaayyy.....Sooooo.....Let's pause the life altering argument of which type TV is better, complete with namecalling, and let me tell you about the deal I stumbled upon today while scouring the stores to see who had what. I'll see if I can change this thread into a poll, to see who would "Deal or No Deal" ;)

Happened upon a Vizio 1080i 50" plasma, display unit only, for.............

$800.....Like new shape, full warranty + able to purchase the extended warranty as well

**Doesn't look like I can change the original post to make this a poll**

Edited by Fonzie

I've never had any experience with Vizio, but I've heard they're decent. If it's in good condition and the warranty is reasonable, it's a pretty solid deal. How long is the manufacturer warranty? Being a display model, it's likely to already have many hours of use on it and a lengthy warranty would be a plus.

Do you plan on ever using Blu-Ray or running a PC on that screen? If not, then that set is about all you'll need. Digital Hi-Def cable is only broadcast in 1080i, so you're good to go. If you eventually wanna dabble in hi-def movies or having a home theater PC, you'l want a 1080p set.

I would stay away from the Demo models. You don't know how long they have been on display. Even with the warrenties there is no reason to potentially buy problems. If you like the Vizio's take a look at either Costco or Sam's Club if you already haven't. The cost of the membership may still work in your favor for getting a lower price on the TV. The one thing to make sure is the TV has enough of the correct inputs for the devices you are using.

Let's not start the 1080p debate. Whole nuther subject.

Anyways..I've had all three..LCD, DLP and Plasma. If I was going for picture quality (because I love correct black levels), I would go with the Plasma. LCD's have ok blacks, but only the most expensive ones match Plasma. If I were looking to put a smaller TV in a smaller room (where heat could be an issue)...or if glare was an issues, I would consider LCD. Maybe. If cost was an issue I would look at DLP..BUT be aware that you may end up replacing a bulb...and they ALWAYS go out when it's least convenient.

i would buy a samsung or lg over vizio for 800..you can get a brand new 720p(which is all you need) plasma for 900 in the box

My 2 cents...

Samsung or Panasonic. Both are king of the hill when it comes to Plasma. For those out there with no budget restrictions, the Pioneer Kuro is the best bet. But for us mortal people, The Sammy's and Panny's are much better than the LG's and Vizio's. Can you get an LG or Vizio that will make you happy? Sure. Would I spend that kind of money on a gamble...when I can pick up the Sammy or Panny and be pretty much assured I'll be happy? Probably not.

i would buy a samsung or lg over vizio for 800..you can get a brand new 720p(which is all you need) plasma for 900 in the box

Does nobody watch blue ray??? I only buy/rent blue ray movies now. There is a huge difference in watching a 1080p and 720p movie. To get the 1080p it was only an extra $200 which is well worth it to me to be able to view a true blue ray in my family room. ;)

And I do have a samsung....LOVE IT!!! My DLP is a toshiba...hate it!!! :D