Throttle Stick?

Radio Flyer

I went to look at a bike today (03sv650s) and the throttle was sticking a little bit.

The owner has been very very informational about everything about the bike as far as communicating scratches/ maintenance prior to meeting.

The throttle was sticking a little bit, with the stock handle grips. Could this be due to the cold weather? My friend that went with me said that he had the same problem with his dirtbike, and he cut off the rim around the inside and it fixed the problem, but I don't want to ask/ expect the owner to do the same with his grips.

The problem did seem new to him, and he thought it was due to the cold weather.

Bike shifted through all gears well, everything was very well cleaned and maintained. He has done a tune up recently including new spark plugs, front and rear sprockets, oil in the forks etc...

He said he would look into the throttle sticking.

before you check for sticky throttle cables, see if the grip is rubbing against the handlebar weight. That will produce enough friction to cause sticky throttle. If it is touching, roll the grip back away from the weight just a bit and check the throttle then. if there is still a problem, then check for throttle cables (much more work).

the throttle just needs to be adjusted.... on most bikes the throttle has 2 cables attached to it, one to open the throttle when you twist it and one to pull it closed... So when you roll on the throttle and release it, it springs back to idle/rest position.. just tighted the rebound or "close" throttle cable and it should not stick anymore... this can be done at the actual throttle body and at an in-line adjuster right below the throttle itself.....

before you check for sticky throttle cables, see if the grip is rubbing against the handlebar weight. That will produce enough friction to cause sticky throttle. If it is touching, roll the grip back away from the weight just a bit and check the throttle then. if there is still a problem, then check for throttle cables (much more work).

I would double check this too. If the bar weight is screwed in too tightly it would rub against the grip, causing the throttle to slowly move back to Closed.

+1 i had the same problem on my 600RR.