Sunday's Dyno Results

tristanlee85

I spent about 2 hours or so with Brian on Sunday trying to get this car tuned in and hit my goal. Unfortunately, I didn't hit my goal, but I have a couple of changes before the dyno day so I'll get right on that.

On Saturday I burned new firmware to my ECU which had a new algorithm for my boost controller, but of course it threw my settings all off so boost was either 18.5psi with the springs or hitting my 29psi limit when it would over-boost. Needless to say I could only do pulls with spring pressure.

Short list of mods:

1000cc injectors

4-bar MAP sensor

Open downpipe

11.8 - 12.2 AFR

23* advance at 6k

E85

MegaSquirt MS2Extra w/ Ford EDIS

Probably other things

I was shooting for 400whp at 23 - 25psi, but I guess we will have to try later.

http://forums.plastikhosting.net/dyno/ce2e3d48b8a0027da00befa04fd11a5c_1237901960.jpg

Don't be afriad to venture to lower lambda values, I've found E85 usually makes best power sub .80 lambda (usually ~ .72-.78). Also, the addition of more fuel mass adds to turbine energy as exhaust mass flow = air mass + fuel mass. Glad to see the build is coming along, good luck!

Good to know. I also heard that too from someone else yesterday so I'll try to richen it up a bit. It's unsteady because It was richer (near 11.8) when I first started and I was working my way on leaning it out to try and gain some more power.

1000cc injectors holy moses batman

1000cc is barely going to be enough for 400 at the wheels. An hour before the dyno I swapped out my 880cc's and put in the 4-bar sensor too. Now, while I still have room to tune, the 1000cc's were already at 81% duty cycle @ 12.2:1 @ 6004 rpms (according to my datalog). This car (for now) is a dyno queen so maxing out those injectors often is not going to be the case.

so its a SOHC?

SOHC and DOHC were both 1.9L. SOHC had lower compression pistons (~9.3:1) and 8 valves. DOHC has higher compression (~9.5:1) and 16 valves. This is a stock block with the head decked .030", cylindered bored .020" over, and ~9.3:1 JE pistons and Crower rods.

1000cc is barely going to be enough for 400 at the wheels. An hour before the dyno I swapped out my 880cc's and put in the 4-bar sensor too. Now, while I still have room to tune, the 1000cc's were already at 81% duty cycle @ 12.2:1 @ 6004 rpms (according to my datalog). This car (for now) is a dyno queen so maxing out those injectors often is not going to be the case.

I'm really confused as to how this is possible. I'm running stock 370cc's in the Z and don't see 100% duty cycle until I'm right in the 370-400 rwhp mark. (Granted I too am going to bigger injectors once the money is available)

Good luck on the tuning - get that A/F under control too.

I'm really confused as to how this is possible. I'm running stock 370cc's in the Z and don't see 100% duty cycle until I'm right in the 370-400 rwhp mark. (Granted I too am going to bigger injectors once the money is available)

Good luck on the tuning - get that A/F under control too.

1. You are also not tuning for E85

2. He has fewer injectors ;)

And that matches perfectly with what I said. 450bhp with 4 injectors is around 66lb/hr with 80% duty cycle. 66lb/hr * 1.46 (E85 consumption increase) = 96lb/hr, or 1000 for 450bhp. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, that's close to 400whp.

As for you, 700whp = ~102lb/hr. Multiple that by 1.46 and you get ~150lb/hr, or 1575cc for E85.

So yes, you need 1600's for 700 and I need 1000's for 400.