Comparsion of Mach 1 vs Cobra with Eaton Blower

DTM Brian

Both cars using the factory size blower pulleys which is 3.5" in diameter. It is suprising that the Mach 1 shows 2+ pounds of less boost yet makes identical power to the cobra up to 6000 rpm's. My guess is the Mach 1 Heads and Cams flow more air causing the boost to read less. You can see the Mach out shines the Cobra above 6000 rpm's. Also keep in mind the compression of the mach is close to 2 points higher the the Cobra.

Blue= Mach 1 Tuned with the Eaton (3.5" pulley) and exhaust

Red= Cobra with stock pulley (3.5") and stock tune with catback and filter.

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/Eaton%20Cobra%20vs%20Eaton%20Mach%201%20Comparsion%20002.jpg

Peak numbers are very close here. However the cobra is making close to 5 pounds more boost at 6000 rpm's.

Blue= 03 Cobra with Dyno Tune, 2.93" Blower Pulley, Catback, Exhaust

Red= Mach 1 Tuned with the Eaton (3.5" pulley) and exhaust

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/Eaton%20Cobra%20vs%20Eaton%20Mach%201%20Comparsion.jpg

Would like to see Mach 1 heads and cams on a 03 Cobra shortblock and a 2.8H Kennebell. :)

+2 I think MM&FF's 03 cobra guinea pig made 770rwhp with the 2.8 KB Mammoth so with Mach heads and cams i would say 800+rwhp.....with instant tq. Would be a shit load to get to the ground. But fun none the less.

I have done a hand full of 03/04's with the 2.8H. 700 rwhp has been the norm at 20-21 psi and race gas. I tune them right around 650 rwhp with pump. A difference of about 5-6 degrees of timing.

I wonder where they got 770rwhp? I know every setup is different. Maybe the car had cams and some other misc. shit I missed. Any of these 2.8 cars around here?

770 with the mamoth intake. The cars tend to loose boost when trying to pull air from the passenger side and the stock blower elbow.

There are 2 cars locally running around with the 2.8H blowers. I forgot to mention that 1 is also spraying with a 75 jet and making close to 800 rwhp.

uhh are you sure here Brian? I was always told the mach 1 heads and cams were identical to 03/04 cobra heads.

Heads might be the same. I bet the cams are different. Look at how the Mach keeps pulling while the cobra is done making power. Also notice the boost difference. Something has to be different other then just compression.

copied from the mach 1 board from a very reliable source

doesnt mention cams though

Here is the difference

02-03 mach 1 and cobra heads

this was the first run of the mach1 and cobra heads, after a million complaints about excessive noise in the valve train on the drivers side ford figured they had to do something so they revised the drivers head. When the car came on to the service drive the first thing the service writer does is run TSBs to find any open complaints and the drivers head had a TSB for noise so ford started replacing them well about 2-3 months in to this they found out that they were redoing some of the cars that had already been don’t so the change the head by having then painted with a blue strip. Now this has no reworking other than some different valve guides but in fords attempt to keep the technicians from double dipping they painted the service head blue so the service writer knows if the TSB had been done or not. This head was the first head and only has 4 spark plug threads

mid 03 to end of 03 cobra and mach 1 heads

This is the 4V head that has been painted with a blue strip to show this is what ford though would take care of the excessive noise from the valve train (little did ford know that the piston slap was the cause for this noise) way to go ford !!!

This head also possesses 4 sparkplug threads

11/15/2003- 4/2004

This was the first 9 thread head

this was the 2004 cobra and the mach 1 head for 2004 this head was completely different. This was the last revision head also known as the FR500 replacement head. This head was issued some time after 11/15/2004 I have confirmed this with every 2004 cobra and mach 1 I have ever touched (approximately 50-60 cobras and 20-30 mach1s ) this head has improved ports also the coolant passages have also been changed. The only way to tell what head you have is by the thread count in the head. 9 thread signifies you have the 2004 heads and 4 thread signifies you have the 2003 heads (while nonpainted 2003 heads notes early 2003 heads) Now there is an easy test to see what heads you have seeing as how all of the threads are at the bottom coming up you can perform a simple thread count test. Start from the tight position and count the number of turns it takes to remove the sparkplug 4-5 turns means you have 4 thread and 8-9 turns means you have the 9 thread heads. if you are buying heads keep this in mind or simply contact me to buy new heads 9 thread with the improved passages 1500 a set complete new

copied from the mach 1 board from a very reliable source

doesnt mention cams though

Here is the difference

02-03 mach 1 and cobra heads

this was the first run of the mach1 and cobra heads, after a million complaints about excessive noise in the valve train on the drivers side ford figured they had to do something so they revised the drivers head. When the car came on to the service drive the first thing the service writer does is run TSBs to find any open complaints and the drivers head had a TSB for noise so ford started replacing them well about 2-3 months in to this they found out that they were redoing some of the cars that had already been don’t so the change the head by having then painted with a blue strip. Now this has no reworking other than some different valve guides but in fords attempt to keep the technicians from double dipping they painted the service head blue so the service writer knows if the TSB had been done or not. This head was the first head and only has 4 spark plug threads

mid 03 to end of 03 cobra and mach 1 heads

This is the 4V head that has been painted with a blue strip to show this is what ford though would take care of the excessive noise from the valve train (little did ford know that the piston slap was the cause for this noise) way to go ford !!!

This head also possesses 4 sparkplug threads

11/15/2003- 4/2004

This was the first 9 thread head

this was the 2004 cobra and the mach 1 head for 2004 this head was completely different. This was the last revision head also known as the FR500 replacement head. This head was issued some time after 11/15/2004 I have confirmed this with every 2004 cobra and mach 1 I have ever touched (approximately 50-60 cobras and 20-30 mach1s ) this head has improved ports also the coolant passages have also been changed. The only way to tell what head you have is by the thread count in the head. 9 thread signifies you have the 2004 heads and 4 thread signifies you have the 2003 heads (while nonpainted 2003 heads notes early 2003 heads) Now there is an easy test to see what heads you have seeing as how all of the threads are at the bottom coming up you can perform a simple thread count test. Start from the tight position and count the number of turns it takes to remove the sparkplug 4-5 turns means you have 4 thread and 8-9 turns means you have the 9 thread heads. if you are buying heads keep this in mind or simply contact me to buy new heads 9 thread with the improved passages 1500 a set complete new

Good information. :)

ford parts online lists the same camshafts as well

Camshaft, intake, right - 4.6l dohc - 4.6L DOHC 03-04 $156.65 $120.90

http://www.trademotion.com/_img/view-illustration.jpg http://www.trademotion.com/_img/add-to-cart.gif http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/_img/help.gif Camshaft, intake, left - 4.6l dohc - 4.6L DOHC 03-04 $157.21 $121.32

http://www.trademotion.com/_img/view-illustration.jpg http://www.trademotion.com/_img/add-to-cart.gif http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/_img/help.gif Camshaft, exhaust, right - 4.6l dohc - 4.6L DOHC 00-04 $215.16 $166.05

http://www.trademotion.com/_img/view-illustration.jpg http://www.trademotion.com/_img/add-to-cart.gif http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/_img/help.gif Camshaft, exhaust, left - 4.6l dohc - 4.6L DOHC 00-04 $157.21 $121.32

The heads and cams are identical. The difference is the weight of the Cobra's forged internals. If the Mach is stick, only the crank is forged. If it's an automatic, none of the internals are forged. The non-forged internals are cast and are much tighter and lighter, reducing the amount of power lost in just moving those parts. The Mach's engine is identical to a stock Marauder's engine, so I have some experience :)

If I have two identical Marauders, one with a stock engine and one with a forged engine (otherwise exactly the same), the forged engine will be 20-30hp less, guaranteed. The benefit is though, the forged engine can take a lot more abuse and make more power at the end of the day.

Hummm, very interesting Brian. Any difference that would allow the Mach to breath better would be why the boost is lower but HP is higher. As far as the weight of the forged internals, wouldn't that casue them to make power at different RPMs?

Hummm, very interesting Brian. Any difference that would allow the Mach to breath better would be why the boost is lower but HP is higher. As far as the weight of the forged internals, wouldn't that casue them to make power at different RPMs?

Agreed.

I can see a lighter rotating assembly and increased compression changing the power curve some at higher rpm's What I do not understand is the boost difference if the heads and cams are the same.

I also run about 4 degrees less of ignition timing in the mach.

18 degrees in the Mach

22 degrees in the Cobra

(At 6000 rpms)

The heads and cams are identical. The difference is the weight of the Cobra's forged internals. If the Mach is stick, only the crank is forged. If it's an automatic, none of the internals are forged. The non-forged internals are cast and are much tighter and lighter, reducing the amount of power lost in just moving those parts. The Mach's engine is identical to a stock Marauder's engine, so I have some experience :)

If I have two identical Marauders, one with a stock engine and one with a forged engine (otherwise exactly the same), the forged engine will be 20-30hp less, guaranteed. The benefit is though, the forged engine can take a lot more abuse and make more power at the end of the day.

Sorry but the first sentence is wrong.

I was mistaken when I typed last night. I meant to echo Derek's statement about the intake cams being different.

Agreed.

I can see a lighter rotating assembly and increased compression changing the power curve some at higher rpm's What I do not understand is the boost difference if the heads and cams are the same.

I also run about 4 degrees less of ignition timing in the mach.

18 degrees in the Mach

22 degrees in the Cobra

(At 6000 rpms)

This info is da troof. The compression ratio and weight should have anything to do with the boost.

My thought is that the difference in cams is where much of this is coming from. Look where the boost reference is being taken from on these cars. With increased flow through the combustion chambers, there will not be as much pressure coming from the pressure port on the back of the blower.

Brian, do both cars have stock exhaust manifolds?

From what i've read, the mach1, like mentioned before came with Navigator 5.4 heads on them for more torque, so wouldn't them being for a larger motor have larger ports and able to breath better cause the hp increase with less boost, while the cams being for torque would keep the power curve from shifting higher with the larger ports. would that reasoning be able to explain the power/boost difference?