Pistol safe recommendations

street pilot

You may want to stay away from bio scanners. It's just a expensive marketing feature. I work at Riverside Hospital and we have fingerprint scanners on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. We get lucky sometimes and the fingerprint scanner will let us in the first time we try. Usually it take multiple attempts.

So do your really want to the scanner to be beeping at you when you really need your gun? I have an electronic push button combination one that I picked up at Vance's for like $80-90. I have it by the bed and spare keys hidden, just incase the electronics gives out on me. Just my personal opinion of course, but I do deal with bio scanners on a daily basis.

You may want to stay away from bio scanners. It's just a expensive marketing feature. I work at Riverside Hospital and we have fingerprint scanners on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. We get lucky sometimes and the fingerprint scanner will let us in the first time we try. Usually it take multiple attempts.

So do your really want to the scanner to be beeping at you when you really need your gun? I have an electronic push button combination one that I picked up at Vance's for like $80-90. I have it by the bed and spare keys hidden, just incase the electronics gives out on me. Just my personal opinion of course, but I do deal with bio scanners on a daily basis.

Thanks for the input on these. One thing I like about the bio vs. button is the ease of use in darkness, though I could probably find one with lighted buttons.

One of the reviews on the cabela's site said they programmed their finger in several times (holds 30 prints) and they got a much better opening rate (makes sense)

Most of the electronics button ones are the 4 button design. They usually stick out and you just have to put your hand over the buttons. Each one of your fingers would be touching a button. Pretty easy to feel and get your hand lined up. Some even have groves to guide your hand. You shouldn't have a problem with opening it in the dark. Mine even has a small light inside that lights up after you get it open.

• 2 weeks later...