Broken drive shaft bolt

initzero

I was removing the drive shaft in my 98 Trans Am and managed to brake off one of the bolts that holds the drive shaft to the rearend. The bolt broke off below the surface. I tried to use a bolt extractored but was unsuccessful.

Any ideas?

Guest 614Streets
Normally when I have had to deal with this problem I can get the broken bolt out by using my oxygen acetylene torch to get the yoke ear red hot and then either turning it with pliers from the back side of the opening on the yoke , or chisel tapping the broken bolt while the yoke is red using a small flat head screw driver. Lastly you can blow the bolt through using a torch cutter head.

Guest Removed
Do you know what size nut holds the yoke to the rearend. Any tips on removing the yoke?

If I can get it off I will bring it to you.

you will need a very large impact to remove the pinion nut.

and proper setup to put it back together.

oh and a BFH

I live in delaware of 37. I will be willing to pay you a little more for an on site visit.

There is enough room to run a nut and bolt but I was worried that the drive shaft would be out of balance.

I will call you after work

I was able to remove the bolt by drilling clear through it and using the drill bit to push the bolt out the back of the yoke. I clean the threads and was able to screw the replacement bolt in by hand.

Thanks guys