Snapped a wheel stud on 91 Miata

Flyin Miata

OK I don't know very much about actually working on cars so forgive me if I should know this, but what is the easiest route to go about fixing a snapped stud on the rear hub? I was using a crosswrench and applied a little too much pressure on a stubborn lug nut, and it snapped off in the middle. I guess they just aren't made to support a 250 lb. guy :(.

Is there a way that a replacement stud can just be pressed into my existing hub, or is a complete hub assembly the only way to go? I'm trying to go the cheapest route here, I barely have enough to fill up the tank right now but I think this is something that needs fixed soon. TIA.

When you get the tire off try to rotate the hub to a point where you can push the stud out, use a hammer. if you can get it out go buy a new one insert it from the back and thread your lug nut on the front. if you have air tools impact it on, then remove the lug nut put your wheel back on and torque all your lugs and your good to go.

Gearhead is correct though some cars have to pull the wheel hub off those get more labor intensive.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Looks like I'm going to tear it apart next time I go to my parents' house and see what all needs done. I may just end up replacing the hubs all around because I'm pretty sure one or two of them need it badly.

The PR fix will likely be the cheapest-

Fuck it and roll with 3. :)

What do you think I've been doing for the last 3 weeks? It held up just fine doing the trip from Cleveland to Columbus and I wasn't exactly going the speed limit :cool:.

if you pull the hub off and get a stud i can press the new one in for ya

I'll let you know, haven't decided whether to wait till I go back home again or just get it done down here. I barely drive it at all when I'm at school so it's not a pressing (no pun intended unless someone laughs) matter right now. I've got a lot of things to spend money on coming up, my 21st is fast approaching.

It shouldn't take much effort to do this. I've only had to do the fronts so I can't personally tell you its easy, but it looks like it will be a little harder than the fronts since you must cut a bit of material. Once you get the stud in, just put the wheel on and tighten with a lug nut. This will set the stud in place and you'll be just fine.

If you haven't been over to Miata.net, you should really check it out. A simple search will bring up all the secrets to the Miata.

Here's a nice thread on how to replace your rear stud.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=51615&highlight=rear+wheel+stud

edit: Oh and a wheel stud is $0.99 at Advanced Auto. Go ahead and buy extras so you have them for when the next one strips or snaps.

It shouldn't take much effort to do this. I've only had to do the fronts so I can't personally tell you its easy, but it looks like it will be a little harder than the fronts since you must cut a bit of material. Once you get the stud in, just put the wheel on and tighten with a lug nut. This will set the stud in place and you'll be just fine.

If you haven't been over to Miata.net, you should really check it out. A simple search will bring up all the secrets to the Miata.

Here's a nice thread on how to replace your rear stud.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=51615&highlight=rear+wheel+stud

edit: Oh and a wheel stud is $0.99 at Advanced Auto. Go ahead and buy extras so you have them for when the next one strips or snaps.

I'm on there quite a bit, for some reason I just didn't find that in the search the first time around, but yea I saw the thread and now I know what's involved at least. Between there and clubroadster.net I don't think there is much you can't find out about Miatas online.

I've noticed that the search is sometimes picky, so just keep trying. And there's also Miataturbo.net if for some reason those two don't have what you're looking for. Then of course if its not on any of those, just ask and you'll get responses within 10 minutes, kinda like on here.

I won't charge you to press the stud if you have a loose hub it'll take 2 seconds just call me first next time you need tires :)

Well I'm good on tires but I was thinking about coming down to you guys and getting an oil change, I'll definitely shoot you a PM when I decide to get it, probably sometime in the next few weeks.