Where are all the Red light Cameras at?

Stampede

No, I was going home around 11:00 pm from Columbus State, on 3rd, when I seen something flash. I'm not sure if it's was a car behind me changing lanes or what. The light turn yellow, I was about a car length before the intersection, there was no time to stop. I'm just being a little paranoid.

Thanks.

Red light cameras have a amnesty period, where the camera doesn't become armed until about a second after the light turns red (this is what I've heard numerous times, may be wrong)

You can fight it in court if you swear it wasn't you driving. But if they ever find out it was you, you are fucked. I would not try fighting it after posting about it on here.

Has anyone went to court and won?

Thanks.

Google son, google

City report shows red-light cameras reduce wrecks

By Mark Ferenchik

The Columbus Dispatch

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

If you're angry about that ticket you received from a red-light camera in Columbus, consider this: Only about one in five who appealed their tickets last year beat the rap.

That's among the items the city released in a report detailing how the cameras worked in 2006.

Critics have called the cameras a money-making device more than a safety tool. But Columbus Deputy Safety Director George Speaks said the study shows the cameras have reduced the number of drivers running red lights by nearly 63 percent, and the numbers of accidents at those intersections by 47 percent.

“Truly, this is a safety project,” Speaks said yesterday.

It's also tough to beat. Of the 134 people who asked for hearings between May and December, only 26 people -- 19 percent -- were found not to be responsible.

And of the 108 violators who lost at their hearing, Speaks said, none have appealed those rulings to municipal court.

What excuses worked? One woman told a hearing officer she was rushing to take her child to see a doctor, Speaks said.

The doctor verified her story. Case dismissed.

Two hearing officers hear the cases and review the videotapes. One, Lloyd Pierre-Louis, is also a lawyer. Despite the reduction in red light running, he said he remains surprised how many people try to speed through a red light.

The report released yesterday mirrors a Dispatch analysis in September that showed fewer drivers were running red lights at intersections with cameras.

Columbus safety officials found that red-light violations decreased over the year at seven of eight intersections. But the violations at Chittenden Avenue and Summit Street just east of the Ohio State campus increased.

Police aren't sure why, said Lt. Edward DeVennish of the traffic bureau.

“It might be kids in the neighborhoods,” he said. “It wouldn't surprise me if people thought it might be cool to have a picture.”

The city issued 9,455 tickets last year. Fines are $95.

Today, the city is activating another red-light camera, this one at E. Broad Street and Grant Avenue. The city will issue warnings for 30 days, and begin sending tickets on March 29. The city ultimately will install 20 cameras.

The program was in peril when the Ohio legislature passed a law late last year that would have required cities to identify drivers but prohibit photographing the drivers' faces. That would have made it nearly impossible to collect fines without placing officers at intersections.

But Gov. Bob Taft, in one of his last acts, vetoed the legislation.

Some legislators saw the cameras as nothing more than cash generators for cities.

But Speaks said the amount of money they bring in is small. The cameras generated $168,926 for the city through Sunday night, Auditor Hugh J. Dorrian said. The city's general fund budget this year is almost $635 million.

Speaks said city leaders have to do a better job of convincing state lawmakers that the purpose of the cameras is not to boost municipal coffers.

A new measure has been introduced in the Ohio House of Representatives requiring cities to place signs on state highways and freeways to tell drivers entering town that cameras are enforcing traffic laws.

State Rep. Jim McGregor, R-Gahanna, is the bill's lead sponsor. A co-sponsor, Rep. Bill Seitz, R-Cincinnati, said the bill “is a faint, small echo of what we should have done, rudely interrupted by the governor's veto.”

He called the cameras the latter-day equivalent of a speed trap.

The cameras aggravate many drivers but not so much that visitors have called Experience Columbus, the area's tourism bureau.

“Absolutely no comments,” spokeswoman Patty Geiger said.

“It's a city safety initiative. We respect it on that basis.”

mferenchik@dispatch.com

They piss me off but I have no one to be mad at but myself I suppose. You shouldn't be running red lights. I've nearly been t-boned 3 times in my car and twice on my bike in the past 6 months b/c someone came blowing through the light.

I wish they would add one at the intersection of Broadway(rt 62) and the 270 off ramp in Grove City. The traffic in that area is a bitch already and f'n people block that intersection to get through the light on a daily basis. I've had to repent hundreds of times for the cursing tirades I go on b/c of that intersection and the @sshats that block it. If you stop dead in the middle of an intersection and block the left hand lane from turning they should have the right to hit your impatient rude ass.