cracking down on street racers

Comebackkid

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A family who was devastated by a street racing crash joined lawmakers on Thursday in hopes of sparing other families their pain.

Monica Durban, who suffered a brain injury when the car she was driving was struck head-on by another car that was drag racing, joined Ohio Rep. Ted Celeste, who hopes to create a tougher law against racers.

George Staton, who was driving the car that crashed into Durban along Interstate 70, was killed. The man who he was racing, Brandon Smith, was acquitted in Staton's death and with assaulting Durban, 10TV's Tanisha Mallett reported.

SLIDESHOW: Images From The Case

"My family's life-long effort and struggle to achieve goals and aspirations was ruined by another's decision to break the law," said Lee Durban, Monica's father.

Celeste said he agrees. He introduced House Bill 191 to create a statewide law on the issue and tougher penalties, Mallett reported.

"With House Bill 191, we are sending a strong message that if you illegally street race in Ohio you will lose your car," Celeste said.

Right now, street racing is a first-degree misdemeanor in Ohio which carries a $1,000 fine and a maximum six-month prison term. Under the proposed bill, the current 30-day license suspension will be one year, and any vehicles involved in the race will be taken away permanently.

"I'm suffering right now," Monica Durban said. "I don't want anyone else to suffer the way I have."

The bill will also include a ban on the use of nitrous oxide in vehicles on public roads and highways and will require anyone who purchases it to sign a statement saying they know nitrous oxide is not to be used for street racing, Mallett reported.

The bill will also include a ban on the use of nitrous oxide in vehicles on public roads and highways and will require anyone who purchases it to sign a statement saying they know nitrous oxide is not to be used for street racing, Mallett reported.

So i can spray a 75 shot in my accord on the freeway and not get in trouble?