Subaru Wheel Bearings

Crossle

Question for Subaru factory tech if there are any here/people who have done Subaru rear wheel bearings. Legacy/Forester/Impreza

How do you guys get to the point when you press the old wheel bearing out? I have done over a dozen now with no consistency and was wondering how the flat rate guys/factory guys do them.

I have only had one where the big long bolt behind the knuckle came loose and it was because i pulled both sides out when the car came to us with 15K and lubed them for this reason. I mean Subaru has got to hear the techs bitching about this, they have had this design since the early nineties or earlier. So when the big bolt doesn't come loose you pull the inner bolts for the control arms/rods, the strut bolts, etc. I mean you have to pull either the big bolt or the two inner bolts b/c the axle won't come out any other way.

We had a car yesterday where the big bolt was seized and the bolt that adjusts the rear toe was frozen inside the sleeve in the bushing. Subaru didn't have the bushing in stock! GEEEEZ they have to know that this is a common problem?? SO, why don't you stock these parts??

So all in all I guess if you have read the above, are you doing the same thing, or something different?

Guest Removed
i would comment on this..but i would not be able to do so without adding lots of F words to it..they suck. they can be done...but i dont like seeing these myself..and without a shop full of tool's, i would tell you to just take it somewhere.

Nothing less than a huge pain in the ass. I started working on my 99 legacy and got in to it and realized I was fucked. The way it was told to me was the hub assembly pretty much has to come off. It certainly is not your typical wheel bearing job as was discribed to me. And it is a common item to need replaced. If had 2 done in 2 years.

My go to guy is a 20 year Tech. It's at a point where I try to understand what all goes into the fix. But, I also understand he is busy as hell and to leave him to it.

I'm sure I've answered none of your questions, but I can relate you what you are working on. Good luck.

Guest mitsumodder
I am a subaru master tech. we have an on car kit to do the bearings. when the bolt is seized and an air hammer/impact wont break it its torch time. burn out the bolt and bushings and replace everything. very common problem espically in a forester on the right rear.

Guest Removed
I am a subaru master tech. we have an on car kit to do the bearings. when the bolt is seized and an air hammer/impact wont break it its torch time. burn out the bolt and bushings and replace everything. very common problem espically in a forester on the right rear.

what he said..but with out the f bomb's i would be dropping..

hub tamers are the shit tho

See like I said, I have done a pretty fair handful of them successfully, but like i said with no consistency. It is interesting that (mitsumodder) you guys burn everything out.....you don't try and take anything else apart? I am assuming that that is due to flat rate? I do use a hub tamer which in turn means I don't have to pull the knuckle off. (on car)

Thanks Joe, your input helps as well, I was looking for technical how too if it was different from mine, and some sharing in the hate of doing these things lol.

Thanks guys, that's what I wanted to know!

Guest Removed
you kind of have to burn things out, when every thing is froze up....not because of flat rate..cause you will be there longer the book time most of the time

you kind of have to burn things out, when every thing is froze up....not because of flat rate..cause you will be there longer the book time most of the time

Makes sense, it's the learning to reach for the torch more often that takes some getting used to.

Guest mitsumodder
i can knock these out in an hour with all the parts in stock, i hated the first 10 i ever did but now its nothing...kinda like the 2.5l headgaskets.

i can knock these out in an hour with all the parts in stock, i hated the first 10 i ever did but now its nothing...kinda like the 2.5l headgaskets.

Ahh, 2.5 head gasket owned me 3 weeks ago. Fucking shit! Still love the car and runs like new now.

This is a tech fix I needed to follow. Thanks for the info guys.

Guest Removed

when you work on one make all day, it gets that easy..:D