a little help?

grease monkey

Is anyone here a truck driver? I can no longer stand my current job. And since I have no college education, and very limited expierance outside of the automotive repair world, I've been thinking of driving a truck.... It looks like a pretty simple transitition to get a CDL, seems like theres a rash of "schools" that will make it happen with some trucking company paying the tab for the "schooling"... Being away from home doesnt matter, so i'm thinkning this may be a nice change, plus a decent pay increase, if I do it..... Any RELEVANT expierance would be appreciated.

my brother did it for a while . he went to road masters off of 70. took him like 3 weeks but 5k but got hsi cdl. companys will pick you up right before you graduate an they will pay most if nto all of it back. problem is for the firs few weeks they stick you with a driver doing hauls. an my brother didnt get much seat time as these guys are needed to make amazing time to make money. well problem is if you have a new person its gonna take longer aka into there pay. so make sure you find a company that there teachers arent going to get paid by how quick they get there or ho wmany loads they can do. just a heads up man good luck theres alot of money tobe made out there an its a solif industry

my dad drives a semi and so does a few of my friends, if your wanting to do this as a long term job, pay for the schooling yourself and pick a company to drive for to get On road time that way. Most lilkley you will end up in a huge shitty company that does not care much about you because ur easy to replace, just buy time and become an owner operator. My dad has a masters degree and makes more money driving and running loads out west for himself then using his degree.

I have a couple friends that drive truck. Mostly 3 days on the road one day off. I will warn you, be very careful your first 90 days. Most of them will fire you on the spot if you have any incident in those first 90 days. Your fault, another persons fault, or act of god. One of my friends just switched companies and lost his job after he was forced off the side of the road by an accident and got stuck in the mud. Just keep in mind drivers are a dime a dozen and they have no reason to keep anyone.

Join the military and you can drive trucks all the time. The school is right here in Columbus now. After you drive in the military, you can get your CDL for $50 and only have to take the writen test. Scarey, I know. Just putting that out there.

My hubby is a truck driver. He drives haz-mat locally. He went to Roadmaster in late 1998. It was 5K back then, it's probably more now. He went to work for a regional company for a couple years to get some experience in. He's been with his current company for 8 years now. I'm sure he would be happy to give you some pointers. PM me if you want.

Join the military and you can drive trucks all the time. The school is right here in Columbus now. After you drive in the military, you can get your CDL for $50 and only have to take the writen test. Scarey, I know. Just putting that out there.

Is that why I'll occasionally see a convoy of military semi's rolling down 670, having just left the airport?