Smartphone people, I'm about to change from WinMo to BB, should I?

Cereal_Killer

After only 1 month of use I am thinking about getting a Storm to replace my Omnia. I'm having lots of problems with it but I do put a high workload on it. I'm always using it to log my wideband via a Bluetooth serial port, since its wireless I do it about every time I drive, just because. That or using it for a modem hooked to my laptop while away from home. Anyway I am finding a lot of bugs with it, most can be corrected its just annoying, but one thing really pisses me off. Its why I got the old one replaced. I'll be typing in a text field in the browser (both Opera and IE do it) and I'll type a random word and when I space at the end of the word it will put a period in the middle of the damn word. Words that do it dont always do it but it will do it till I restart the phone, then it may or may not do it if that makes sense. One exception is Zettler, every fucking time I type that it puts a period somewhere in the word. I use the regular keyboard, not XT9 or wherever its called.

The change would be at no cost, Customer service actually recommended it. Will I like the Storm? Does it run WinMo programs? Is it overall easier to use? Not that I mind it but some say the Omnia and WinMo in general is not very user friendly.

Does it show txt messages like an instant message or like regular, individual messages?

I like Windows mobile better then the storm period.

I don't care for rim honestly it does not have the support following of WM6 or Iphone.

For wM you can get lots of free software online. SSH apps all kinds of stuff. RIM just isn't as supported software wise on the free side.

The screen on the storm feels stupid. Clicking when I type. Really. Ehhh to each there own.

My previous smart phones

ppc6700 2 years

ppc6800 1 year

ppc6800 Running Andriod (I was deciding if i wanted to go G1 or Iphone)

Iphone 2.1 / 2.2 now 3.0 OS version Jailbroken

I used the BB storm quite a few times as the guys I work with all get them when I bought my iphone. (I paid out of my pocket). They thought it was great and now months later the one who thought the BB was the end all now wants a iphone.

I've never had a windows mobile phone but I have a bb curve for a couple months. It is good for what I need. The camera is 2mp i think? It has a small zoom function. Video camera is great and it even has a flash. I use this very often on my phone. Bluetooth works fine for headset and my external GPS puck. So geocaching works and so does turn by turn GPS. I use it to play music in the car or while at work. I love that it supports 8GB micro SD card. It can play videos too in 3gp format and that is easy to convert on the computer. I have a flashlight program on there for use when you have no light around you. I have a few games on there too. A diablo 2 clone stripped down. Legend of zelda remake and even tetris.

All free if you know where to look...

It does sometimes run into problems and locks up. It is like windows 95 you got to restart it often. But I even found a program that simulates a battery pull. That is much easier then removing the battery manually. That was free too!

Edited by 87GT
Forgot to add something

My last couple of phones were WinMo but I've enjoyed the Curves and Bold I've played with before. I think WinMo is best for those who like tinkering with software, customization and don't mind configuring endless settings and programs. An average person looking for a basic phone would be turned off by the overwhelming capabilities of WinMo and may even encounter problems that seem frustrating.

Yeah I'm thinking of flashing to 6.5 as my other option, I had a different version of 6.1 on my old one (didnt tell vzw) but it was the GPS unlock release from Samsung, had a few other sweet things to like complete custom widgeds. I thought that might of been the problem so I didnt do it to the new one till it started the same shit on the factory rom.

BTW hdBoobs doesnt work on my phone -

Missing Message Exception

This App requires a newer version of the Microsoft .NET Compact Framework than the version installed on this device