Ethanol costs going up?

tristanlee85

I sure hope I am reading this wrong, but E85 used to be $.20 - $.30 cheaper than 87 gasoline, but I drove by Kroger's today and E85 was $3.48 and gasoline was $2.58.

I hope that price is wrong, but if not, they are going in the wrong direction to get people to be a bit more green.

Maybe they just fucked up the numbering then. This is the Kroger on 665 near FedEx. I had a typo too. It listed $3.28 on their sign. I'm hoping the 3 should have been a 2. That would be your $.30 savings right there... though, I did not go in a purchase anything.

it cost more to make e85 than gas anyways. its a waste of money for the average person anyways since it takes 30% more fuel to run.

Exactly, it needs to be a good $.60--$.75/gallon cheaper than 87 for the masses to justify switching to it. It won't be around much longer if its just people like me buying it.

Its actually more like 20% and besides wouldnt anyone rather see the money go to American farmers and American companies than to the middle east and those billionaire arabs? I would, I just wish we could get it around here close to my house so I could do a conversion.

Hey I count my mileage every tank. lol And turbos and big injectors don't mean anything. It only means something when you are in boost 100% of the time. I get 25mpg in E85 and about 42 on gasoline, but I generally don't drive with a lead foot.

Well if those are true numbers you are not normal, perhaps not tuned right because how did you make the computer flex fuel on a 97 saturn? My dads flexfuel yukon gets 20 hwy on gas and between 15.5-16.5 on e-85. Hence the about 20%.

Because I am not using the Saturn ECU, and fuel mileage != fuel efficiency. An easy way to determine you additional fuel requirement between fuels is to take the stoichiometric values of the fuels and divide them: 14.68 for gasoline / 9.87 for E85 = 1.487. So roughly, at stoichiometric conditions, you require 49% more fuel.

Its actually more like 20% and besides wouldnt anyone rather see the money go to American farmers and American companies than to the middle east and those billionaire arabs? I would, I just wish we could get it around here close to my house so I could do a conversion.

Yes, but using corn to make fuel also drives up the prices of nearly all consumer goods as well such as Beef or other typical foodstuffs, anything Leather and Milk, etc.

Yes, but using corn to make fuel also drives up the prices of nearly all consumer goods as well such as Beef or other typical foodstuffs, anything Leather and Milk, etc.

Which means even MORE money in the pockets of our domestic farmers! Geez! Can't you people understand that?!?1?!? :rolleyes:

...and less money in our pockets. Unless you happen to be a farmer. In which case I believe the least you can do is give me some fresh corn on the cob. Gratis.

Which means even MORE money in the pockets of our domestic farmers! Geez! Can't you people understand that?!?1?!? :rolleyes:

...and less money in our pockets. Unless you happen to be a farmer. In which case I believe the least you can do is give me some fresh corn on the cob. Gratis.

And more money going "overseas" to china where they make cheap goods. :rolleyes:

Hey I count my mileage every tank. lol And turbos and big injectors don't mean anything. It only means something when you are in boost 100% of the time. I get 25mpg in E85 and about 42 on gasoline, but I generally don't drive with a lead foot.

I filled up friday for 2.15 a gallon at the krogers by my house.

I get 15-20 e85

i get 18-24 93

This is me driving how i enjoy driving

28mpg on my rd trip

When Gas is expensive E85 has more ethanol content, which has a higher refinery cost, which inflates the cost of E85. When you see gas get cheaper there is a higher petrol content making it less expensive.

The Ethanol/Agriculture market is interesting to follow, watch what happens to prices once the subsidies go away, because that is the only reason E85 is even cost effective currently.

Brandon

corn-based ethanol = hardcore fail!

cellulosic ethanol, biogas = lots of win, the future!

Yes you are correct!

It has to start somewhere and the infrastructure has to be put in place that doesnt happen overnight. Maybe the reason the corn idea got started was because the large corn grows like ADM etc have lots of lobbying power with congress=turn corn into e85 profits go up(not hard to figure out). I am a pilot for a coal company and we alone spend over a million dollars a year on Jet-A, I am waiting for the Bio-JetA that will kick OPEC in the ass hahaha.