replacing Steering box in '98 Blazer 4x4

smokin5s

Guest Removed

i hate those...

undo the steering from top and bottom, pull the 3 bolts holding the box to the frame. after it out remove the pitman arm, tranfer it to the new one, and aligned.

did you fix the tie rod end?

loosen the jam nut on top and tighten the screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time till the slop is reduced. look on top of the box, there is a aluminum cover with 4 bolts in it and that nut/screw is in the middle.

Guest Removed
Those trucks are also good for wearing out pitman and idler arms. Makes for very sloppy steering.

someone has replaced that stuff..IMO, seems like the worm gear is worn badly, or very loose bearing in the box. IMO adjusting it wouldnt help

Guest Removed
I have a feeling Rob is right, but I'm going to try adjusting it first and hope that works

dont over doit.. you get it too tight, and the thing wont want to turn...

and with the shaft play i was seeing in it, when it was here...just call steer and gear and get another one.

Guest Removed
unisteer makes a retrofit rack and pinion for s-10's now its kinda pricey at about 300 bones but its supposed to be night and day from the steering box style

about 100 higher the a new box i think..

id rather have a rack anyway

no I'm talking about how it is now... I haven't touched it yet... I might try to adjust it a little on thursday, but I wanted to drive it tomorrow and let my wife take my car and I didn't know if it was safe to drive or not.

someone has replaced that stuff..IMO, seems like the worm gear is worn badly, or very loose bearing in the box. IMO adjusting it wouldnt help

That sucks, that means the box has already been off once for the pitman and now it has to come off again.......

unisteer makes a retrofit rack and pinion for s-10's now its kinda pricey at about 300 bones but its supposed to be night and day from the steering box style

$300? It's $1,049 according to Jegs.com. I searched a bit more and found JC Whitney had it for $872, but that's the cheapest I could find.

oops I think I saw the s-10 rack and then looked at the price on the one next to it :(

if you look at it real close though its just a steering rack from an intrepid with a bracket on it

Well, if you decide to set your car on fire before putting a trans. in it, let me have the rack before you do..:)