ranger with some type of grinding noise?

frenchy chan

i have a 99 flex fuel ford ranger automatic with 76K

we bought it used last year, but i think it sat for a while....

recently we've noticed some type of "grinding"?? noise

the best way for me to describe the sound is...like when you are driving on older, rougher pavement and then you suddenly get to nicely new paved road...but the issue is that i never changed pavement types.

i also do not think it is tire noise because it isn't constant. my boyfriend got under the truck and made sure nothing was loose and the brakes are not catching.

i don't know if it may be a transmission problem. my boyfriend thinks that we are starting to have issues with the transmission....not shifting right, etc

it is driving us nuts....we'd like to fix it ourselves

do you guys have any ideas on what it could be?

we just put new wheel bearings on, but my boyfriend went over to napa and the old guy there informed him that we bought the cheap ones and they could be faulty.....sooooo we bought the really good expensive ones ($200!!!)....

we haven't had a chance to check them yet, he's currently working on the mazda....hopefully the bearings are the issue and it gets fixed tonight.....

if not, we plan on measuring the wear on the brakes, just to make sure they really aren't hanging up. sean (my bf) said that one of the calibers was slightly hanging up, but the wheels still spun freely....

yay cars!

2 wheel drive

we took it to the dealer last night to see what they would find. they say it's the wheel bearings. they quoted us about $250 to fix it, so we decided to just have them do it and return the $200 bearings we got from napa. no busted knuckles and you aren't getting greasy