The Whiplash Effect

ReconRat

Ok, I going to explain something you probably already know, but haven't given much thought to.

I've seen this happen in convoys of cars traveling on freeways. The lead car speeds up a little when there is an opportunity, and the next car is slightly delayed in responding, and has to go a little faster to catch up, and so on with the next. The guy or gal in the back has to floor it to stay anywhere near the rest of the group.

There you have it, The Whiplash Effect

So when we ride in groups, a steady pace by a leader, is so very very important. I don't care if it's fast or slow, steady is good. It also means hard acceleration out of corners can create the very same condition. The group should string out but still be in sight of a portion of the remainder. Then it bunches up entering corners. I suppose that's the "Slinky Effect", but I really didn't want to go there...

Ok, I going to explain something you probably already know, but haven't given much thought to.

I've seen this happen in convoys of cars traveling on freeways. The lead car speeds up a little when there is an opportunity, and the next car is slightly delayed in responding, and has to go a little faster to catch up, and so on with the next. The guy or gal in the back has to floor it to stay anywhere near the rest of the group.

There you have it, The Whiplash Effect

So when we ride in groups, a steady pace by a leader, is so very very important. I don't care if it's fast or slow, steady is good. It also means hard acceleration out of corners can create the very same condition. The group should string out but still be in sight of a portion of the remainder. Then it bunches up entering corners. I suppose that's the "Slinky Effect", but I really didn't want to go there...

I've noticed I am able to solve entire crossword puzzles before some people even step on the gas at a green light. are people brain dead.

What's with the obsession with "keeping up"? Is it really necessary to be in the guy in front of you's back pocket during the whole ride?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I love having a bit of space open up between me and the next guy. Adds more margin for error and gives me space to play. Any good group stops and waits for everyone whenever there's an intersection and a direction change, so it's not like you'll get lost by falling behind.

What's with the obsession with "keeping up"? Is it really necessary to be in the guy in front of you's back pocket during the whole ride?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I love having a bit of space open up between me and the next guy. Adds more margin for error and gives me space to play. Any good group stops and waits for everyone whenever there's an intersection and a direction change, so it's not like you'll get lost by falling behind.

Simple I think, the group in the back too often tries to keep up. Maybe it's just new riders, maybe it's desire. Doesn't matter it happens too often. It's over the skill level, over the mechanical level, and involves road speeds way too high, entering or braking into corners way too hard, etc.

Don't know about the riding too close. I learned to ride in close formation. Two bikes moving together. It used to be legal to ride side by side. Most states/cities don't allow it anymore.