Price Check: 2002 vstar 650 3400 miles v. starter bike for my dad

Ramsey

My father is looking at a 2002 Vstar 650 and wants to know if 2700 is a good price for a clean low milage bike??

I should have some pics soon.

This will be his first bike and he really wasnt trying to spend over 2k but if this is a good deal he might take it.

TIA

good deal!

have him snag it up

Cool

That is a pretty decent deal as long as it is in decent shape. If it doesn't work out, pm me. I might be able to help you find something.

It is very clean, but my worry is that it hasnt been titled since 07, and only has 3400 miles. He said it starts right and sounds good but may need a tune up.

What kind of options do you have closer to the 2k and below.

I love the v-stars! I've had two of them. Completely stock they kinda suck, but with a couple of mods they wake up quite a bit. $2700 is a pretty good price, especially for the mileage. I sold a 2001 with 33k on it last April for $2750. As for the time it's been parked, you'll need to check the same things you would on any bike, dry rotted tires, fork seals, etc... V-Star specific stuff is pretty straight forward. The big thing on these bikes is the final drive. Grab hold of the drive shaft, and if it feels like it's got excessive play, stay away. The assemblers of these bikes have a bad reputation for not putting enough lube on the drive shaft splines which leads to premature final drive failure. Replacement final drives are stupid expensive, and most guys end up replacing with parts from a Virago 535.

x2 on vstars being great bikes weve got a 07 (bought in march of 08 brand new) an we got it out for a hair under 6k out the door... these have HORRRIBLE power though im talking civic slow....but great cruisers an commmuters. sorry no help on the price btu just another happy vstar customer