Clutch situation

suprasonic

I need some advice. Amongst other things that need love on the supra, the clutch has been a real pita. It engages harshly (grabs in a weird way) when slipping it in gear on a casual drive, the pedal pressure is way higher then it should be and unless you are very sensitive with the clutch position in relation to the throttle it will almost always hesitate to engage and then do so very harshly. It's an RPS max pressure plate, RPS street disc and oem flywheel. The previous owner drag raced the piss out of the car and now everything from blown shocks to front rotors to head gasket's need attention.

On an invoice from IPS motorsports (where the previous owner had a new shortblock installed), there are comments in the actual invoice stating: "Clutch disc hot-spotted -- reusable but def not perfect".

I talked to my local mechanic whom I've known for years and he told me the only part of a clutch assembly that can be salvaged from hotspotting is resurfacing the flywheel. Doing so with a clutch disc or pressure plate will cause a clearance that will lower the torque capacity or just not engage altogether. I have also heard about the problems that RPS has had with some clutch kits failing prematurely and exhibiting such characteristics as I described.

Synopsis, would it be a bad idea/would it even be possible to "reuse" the clutch disc and do something with the pressure plate? Could anyone confirm this as being a faulty product from RPS? I will be at BPU levels for about another year or so and I wasn't planning on getting an APU clutch until it was needed so I'm a little confused between what IPS said on the invoice and what my mechanic told me.

Sorry for the long read, wanted to cover the details.

I'd appreciate any words from anyone at IPS, although I doubt they will remember specifically the issue, but for good measure the invoice number is 2809 (late june/07).

turn the flywheel, shim it back out(if that much is taken off) and get a better clutch setup.

He told me we could definitely still use the oem flywheel so I'm not terribly worried about it. It's just that the same mechanic is changing my front rotors and installing a coilover setup I put together so I figured I could save some labor getting the clutch issue resolved at the same time.

Would you say it would be detrimental to my tranny if I ignore this problem until I go APU? (6-9months hopefully) I say this because I have had some very painful gear changes and have often wondered if this is detrimental in the long-term. Getrag's aren't cheap :(

eh, just something to take a 550rwhp beating on a daily basis, i probably won't go past that power mark unless i decide on a drag setup rather then a track one. i was thinking of the Garrett hybrid twins for going APU, any clutch that can actually take that kind've a beating. I read the 30 or so page post on supraforums.com about clutches for 700-900rwhp but i have yet to find a bulletproof history on anyone of the setups except for the tilton. i heard good things about clutchmasters if you give them enough brake-in time before dumping. i think anything tilton is too pricey for me, i was considering the TRD twin disc but i think it caps out around 500whp. i'll never buy RPS again, not a fan of blitz either, any thoughts guys?