help please! 05 R1 speed wobble

ford5oh

This is kind of long but basically when I first got my bike I could make high speed pulls with no issues(at the track of couse). The last few thousand miles the front tire shakes side to side when I'm going higher speeds. The bike has 8k on it now. I have had several people look at it and noone can figure it out. I have put several sets of tires on it and had them rebalanced several times. I'm ruinning the proper tire pressure and I have played with that alot and still no difference. The chain alignment is good and I have also had the steering head bearing checked and tightened. I just recently lowered the front slightly to see if by putting more of the bikes weight up front it would help but still no difference. You can rip on the bike and it has no issues just at higher speeds. It isnt a issue when you accelerate fast but just once you get to speeds over 100mph. When you are going over 100mph it doesnt matter whether you slowly accelerate or not it just doesnt want to strighten up the bike still wants to wobble. The bike is bone stock and the tires are wearing properly and I just cant figure it out. I'm about 185lbs. and the suspension is still set at stock settings. If anyone knows a good shop that might be able to help me out without bending me over let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!

This is kind of long but basically when I first got my bike I could make high speed pulls with no issues(at the track of couse). The last few thousand miles the front tire shakes side to side when I'm going higher speeds. The bike has 8k on it now. I have had several people look at it and noone can figure it out. I have put several sets of tires on it and had them rebalanced several times. I'm ruinning the proper tire pressure and I have played with that alot and still no difference. The chain alignment is good and I have also had the steering head bearing checked and tightened. I just recently lowered the front slightly to see if by putting more of the bikes weight up front it would help but still no difference. You can rip on the bike and it has no issues just at higher speeds. It isnt a issue when you accelerate fast but just once you get to speeds over 100mph. When you are going over 100mph it doesnt matter whether you slowly accelerate or not it just doesnt want to strighten up the bike still wants to wobble. The bike is bone stock and the tires are wearing properly and I just cant figure it out. I'm about 185lbs. and the suspension is still set at stock settings. If anyone knows a good shop that might be able to help me out without bending me over let me know. Thanks in advance for any help!

I will talk to mike davis he knows alot about R1's and sport bikes tomorrow. and will shoot you a pm after i talk to him. he is on CR but rarely gets on. Im thinkin maybe wheel bearings ?????

I will talk to mike davis he knows alot about R1's and sport bikes tomorrow. and will shoot you a pm after i talk to him. he is on CR but rarely gets on. Im thinkin maybe wheel bearings ?????

i was thinking wheel bearing too, you check the triple tree?

BTW, lowering the front makes high speed stability worse but turn in sharper. Did you changed tires and the problem appeared (I didn't see that in your write up) if so it could be profile of the new tires is higher putting more weight on the front.

You also have a stock steering damper that may need rebuilt. 1st gen R1's without damper had all had this problem around 130 mph.

Another problem lies in the operator. If you have gotten lazy and are putting to much weight on the bars, you are the one that may be causing it. Around 100 mph most people would be tucking and this may be when you hang on extra hard to the bars instead of hanging on with your lower body.

It could be bearings too, but I have no experience with that.

since it is only happening at high speeds could it be something with the airflow? maybe a windscreen/mirrors/turn signals issue. sounds like you have checked out everthing else. also if it was a bearing wouldn't it be doing it at lower speeds? like 60-80?

Guest tbutera2112

make sure the steering head bolt is tight

http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/Photos/SteeringPhotos/SteeringHeadClampBoltGS.jpg

it should be tightened or checked atleast once a year if not more

put bike on center stand, lean back on it so the front wheel is off the ground, line it up so the tire is facing forward, then let it go and let it fall against the stops...it should have a small bounce and one or two TINY bounces after....if it moves any more than that, then there is your problem

The problem pretty much came out of nowhere. It happened when I had the original tires on the bike. I figured maybe the front was just wearing funny or something but since then I have had two different sets of tires on it. I have tried sitting different ways tucking and sitting up but it doesnt change it. I have checked the steering head bearing and everything seems to be ok.Also the rotor looks good. Yes if anyone has any numbers of anyone that can take a look at it I would appreciate it.

wheel bearings maybe.. sounds more like steering stem bearings.. pull the tripple tree apart, there should be an upper and lower bearing. id replace both.

I was thinking this or the stem nut is just loose. Also check to see if the damper is actually working. Might need rebuilt (shouldn't, but might).