LSX people step in.

HAOLE

I need some schooling about this LS6 I have. I am looking at either going with forced induction or nitrous on the Z06. Since nitrous refills are not available up here I am leaning more toward the forced induction (blower).

1.How much spray can it handle?

2.How much boost can it take?

3.What are the weak spots in the engine?

4.Is head, cam, intake swap worth the money?

5.Is it worth the money to do headers and H or X pipe. I heard the stock exhaust is pretty good.

thx

what kind of power/street manners do you want? very easy to make 450 and go deep 11s with hci and full exhaust.

I'd say more, but it depends on what kind of driveability like you said. I anticipate with AFR 205s and a ported FAST 92/92 I should be well over 450rwhp thru my 10 bolt..till it blows up lol

I need some schooling about this LS6 I have. I am looking at either going with forced induction or nitrous on the Z06. Since nitrous refills are not available up here I am leaning more toward the forced induction (blower).

1.How much spray can it handle?

2.How much boost can it take?

3.What are the weak spots in the engine?

4.Is head, cam, intake swap worth the money?

5.Is it worth the money to do headers and H or X pipe. I heard the stock exhaust is pretty good.

thx

1. 150 is all I suggest. Both Sam and Tilley knocked holes in pistons with 200hp jets.

2. 6 PSI all day long. 8 Psi and I would suggest a good intercooler or put it on a diet of Sunoco 100 Octane

3. Rod Bolts

4. Cam swap yes. I will let others chime in regarding heads.

5. Long Tubes FTW!!!

6. Let me tune it. :)

1. 150 is all I suggest. Both Sam and Tilley knocked holes in pistons with 200hp jets.

2. 6 PSI all day long. 8 Psi and I would suggest a good intercooler or put it on a diet of Sunoco 100 Octane

3. Rod Bolts

4. Cam swap yes. I will let others chime in regarding heads.

5. Long Tubes FTW!!!

this, aside from the 150 shot. I know of many hitting a 200-225 shot for years without issue. It all depends on how the hit is set up.

I'm not convinced on heads yet myself though. My camaro does 400 wheel horse through the stock heads, not sure a set of $2k heads will gain me that much.

this, aside from the 150 shot. I know of many hitting a 200-225 shot for years without issue. It all depends on how the hit is set up.

I'm not convinced on heads yet myself though. My camaro does 400 wheel horse through the stock heads, not sure a set of $2k heads will gain me that much.

With heads you would probably gain about 20hp more. The price per hp gained sucks with our cars.

Cam = definite

Heads = Port the ones you have unless you are going to be seriously racing it

Long tubes = Yes it wakes these things wake up

Cutout = This way you can keep the stock exhaust

Tune = Yes after you get the long tubes cam and port your heads.

Nitrous = No. Since you done have a place close to fill it. If you do get it dont spray more than a 100 shot. The cars can take more but the lean/torque spike will destroy the bottom end, transmission, and other costly parts.

yes heads, cam, headers with a X.

don't forget fuel injectors, the 28lbs ones in your car already start to lean out at high RPM with just a CAI.

ported throttle body should be on the list too.

intake wise there isn't a ton of improvement with a FAST over the LS6 but if you have the extra money to burn then go for it and you can pick up a few more horse.

the LS6 is not as stong as the LS1 for alot of boost due to the internal passages in the crank case for air to move better. other than that there is no difference.

02' had the upgraded rod bolts that were good to 6800 rpm, they still should be on your upgrade list.

the stock mufflers are Ti and flow just as well or better than most aftermarket systems and weigh less. if anything hang on to them if you go aftermarket.

corvetteforum.com is your friend.

With heads you would probably gain about 20hp more. The price per hp gained sucks with our cars.

Exactly, thats why I skipped heads. The cost and effort vs gains isn't worth it to me. If you want to shoot for ~400 wheel horse you don't need heads but even with heads you hit a wall around 450 wheel NA anyway. 500 wheel NA is possible but is difficult, though if you are looking for this power level you should go power adder anyway then you don't "need" heads. You can just add more boost or juice. :D

Exactly, thats why I skipped heads. The cost and effort vs gains isn't worth it to me. If you want to shoot for ~400 wheel horse you don't need heads but even with heads you hit a wall around 450 wheel NA anyway. 500 wheel NA is possible but is difficult, though if you are looking for this power level you should go power adder anyway then you don't "need" heads. You can just add more boost or juice. :D

For 20hp the price of head seems a little steep to me. I am leaning more toward the blower set up. I want to retain driveability, and looking for refills for the spray is a real hassle up here.

For 20hp the price of head seems a little steep to me. I am leaning more toward the blower set up. I want to retain driveability, and looking for refills for the spray is a real hassle up here.

The thing I like about nitrous is, you can keep the car basically stock then click off an 11 second pass when you want to.

Heavy modded cars become a pain in the ass after a while and their driveability suffers.

a set of z06 243 castings cost around $340 used and will gain 15-25rwhp. has been proven many times. i dont know where this "$2k heads=20hp" came from lol.

a set of z06 243 castings cost around $340 used and will gain 15-25rwhp. has been proven many times. i dont know where this "$2k heads=20hp" came from lol.

The brand new name brand heads are expensive. I found this on ls1tech after looking up some info on afr earlier to see why they cost so much...

1) AFR Heads have a Carb EO because they are direct replacement heads

2) In the certification testing, the heads ran cleaner than stock and improved fuel economy. If that doesn't tell you something about combustion efficiency, it ought to.

3) AFR 205 heads have a greater valve drop than stock castings (i.e. more PTV clearance) which could save you the time/materials/effort of cutting reliefs in your stock pistons, or allow you to run a larger cam without PTV issues.

4) AFR heads running 2.02/1.60 valves are flowing similar to stg 2.5 ported castings with larger valves, which will increase shrouding in a 3.9" bore. Same results on a 4" or 4.125" bore do not necessarily bear out when installed on a 3.9" bore.

5) Any aftermarket casting gains the benefit of starting with a clean slate. Properly engineered castings can address all the factory weaknesses and put material where it needs to be to make sure the finished product is strong enough after CNC work is done.

Not sure if this justifies the $2000 price difference...

not everyone will gain 15-25rwhp by tossing on a set of 243's though. The higher you already are in power level, the smaller gains you will see.