AR-15 Upper suggestions

verse

Anyone have any suggestions on complete uppers? I'm looking to keep it under $700 for the upper. Online it looks like you can find a flat top Stag upper for $530, is this a decent deal? Or would I be better off buying a higher price/brand name upper assembly? I want something in a 16 inch barrel. I'd be mostly using this just as a range toy and possible SHTF gun.

What is your goal with this particular gun?

I'd be mostly using this just as a range toy and possible SHTF gun.

Also partially a HD gun. I'll probably keep it with the iron sights for a while to get some cash for a decent optic. Probably mount a flashlight on the right front, that's about it.

an AR is an AR. The difference is the pieces inside and or chromelined barrel or not n shit like that. Stag is a great company. Bushmaster and colt are over priced. DPMS has always been good to me and they are quality rifles.

Not so much. You have different twists of the barrels, and what it's lined with. 1:9 twist is standard, but with the 1:7 varients I've seen, the 77 grain Black Hills tends to fly pretty good.

On the cheap:

This:

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver%E2%80%93%E2%80%93-DSZM4CBU/productinfo/DSZM4CBU/

+ $130 BCG + $20 Charging handle + $55 MBUS = upper for $480 WITH irons.

However, no chrome lined barrel. But, for what you're doing, do you really need one?

is 1/7 of a twist better or worse then 1/9?

Depends on what grain bullet you choose to shoot. For an upclose, CQBish rifle that you just want to run 55gr. XM193 through, a 1/9 would be fine. If you decide you want to build a precision/varmint AR, and will be lobbing bullets out to longer distances (where a heavier bullet would be preferred), a faster twist such as 1/7 would be preferred to stabilize the heavier rounds.

Just an FYI, sending a light bullet through a fast twist barrel can cause it to over spin, and sometimes even cause it to break apart in midair.

Depends on what grain bullet you choose to shoot. For an upclose, CQBish rifle that you just want to run 55gr. XM193 through, a 1/9 would be fine. If you decide you want to build a precision/varmint AR, and will be lobbing bullets out to longer distances (where a heavier bullet would be preferred), a faster twist such as 1/7 would be preferred to stabilize the heavier rounds.

Just an FYI, sending a light bullet through a fast twist barrel can cause it to over spin, and sometimes even cause it to break apart in midair.

:nod:

I do love hearing the old Vietnam vets talking about their M16 with their 1:12 twist rifles. The stories of entry to exit wounds are quite true thanks to the tumbling effect of the round itself. Not to mention, most of the rounds were 45 grain rounds. 55 and 62 grain M855 is like a damn ice pick, goes in and right out.

I think I'm going to go with the Stag Arms model 2H unless I find something else for cheap or close the price point locally.

What's everyone's opinion on looks? I'm either keeping it all black or go with a Dark earth and black with Magpul Dark Earth stock, grip, and PMAGs. I bought a couple black PMAGs, I'm just not sure if I'm going to go all black or a black/dark earth look.

AR for Home defense... what about the innocent neighbors? Those fire for a good distance you know.

Okay, then look at ballstic gel penetration charts.

12G buckshots are usually 17"-12" of penetration.

Where as a .223 is usually 15"-11".

There's no need for your comment b/c I didn't ask for it. I didn't make a post to argue about home defense guns.