Gran Turismo on PSP review

87GT

After playing this game for a week I have a pretty good feeling about the upcoming GT5. This game is nowhere as pretty as the Prologue version on PS3 but for a hand held it is fucking tits. What I miss is the in car view that the PS3 version has but I doubt the PSP could handle rendering that. Otherwise normal in car view is close to what it was on GT4. The video is flawless though there is no skipping or trees popping out of nowhere. It looks and plays mostly like GT4 which I love to death.

You have 3 modes of play, race with 3 other computer drivers, time trial by yourself, or a new drifting mode. The first 2 are self explanatory. The drift mode is a little different then other games. There is a line in the road throughout the track. Once you drive over it you can star gaining points by the speed and angle of the drift. Shortly you run over another line which ends the first drift session and it adds the points to your total. Then you star over again earning more points. It is easier then it sounds. Since I can't figure out what the e-brake button is yet it is pretty difficult to drift. I do like that there are dirt and ice tracks to race on!!

Also there is a driving practice mode. It is like the old games where you had to take these tests to get your license to race. It is basically the same thing but you don't need a license to race. All tracks are unlocked. Completing each test does give you cash.

There are 800 cars on here from what I read. The way the game is setup each time you race then back out to the main menu you get a chance to go to the dealer. Each day you get access to a different manufacturer. Each day as well the inventory chances. I find myself doing a few races to get a handful of cash, backing out to the menu and checking all the cars. Unfortunately you can't tune or mod any of the cars but the game isn't complete so don't bitch about it. You can change to manual or auto, change your tires (normal, sport, racing), turn off driving assists, turn off the driving line.

The only thing I do not like about this game is the AI of the computer drivers. If you are a hardcore GT fan you should already know the "issues" with the AI. But if not I will elaborate. Going back to the driving line (just like in Forza) it seems the computer always wants to follow that line. Now that makes sense but the issue comes when you are driving right next to another car. The computer has no respect for you or another computer driver and will purposely hit your car just to stay on that line or real close to it. It seems as if the computer has no idea you are driving a few inches away. In GT4 whenever 2 cars touched (or you hit a wall) it would slow your car down for a second or so as a penalty regardless of who hit who. In this game it seems not to slow you down but you still risk being pushed off the track into the grass. Any time you are off the grass you will get a time penalty. This if your penalty makes your total lap time more then another player you will not win, even if you finished in 1st place. Shit happens it could be a lot worse.

Cliffs

Game rocks. Video is crisp lifelike and beautiful. Some of the small things in the game really make me happy. Slamming on your brakes quickly makes the in car camera pivot towards the ground a bit to make you feel like you are being forced forward. VTEC on the honda's like the 91 CRX really functions like the real car. You can hear the engine wine a lot more in higher RPMs then lower ones. Turbo lag is as it should be. Drifting and fish tailing are all life like. AI still has an issue as previous GT games have had. It is worth buying but not if you own the PS3 version already unless you really want to play it away from your house.

I have been considering picking up a PSP just because of this game. I use to love the GT series and was very sad the day I sold all my Playstation 2 stuff. But I think I am going to try to sell my old DS that I don't use and pick up a PSP in a few months.

I am a little dissappointed to hear you can't mod the vehicles, but I don't think that would be much of a big deal with the way this game is set up to play.

I've been playing it, as well. (BTW, the parking brake is the R1 button.) The analog control is a bit weird to get used to but once used to it, is much better than using the digital control for steering. You can change these in options, I believe.

There is some tuning that is allowed if the car you have is 'favorited'. Also, I'm not concerned with the lack of parts or in depth tuning simply because I enjoy racing the cars as they are. Stock for stock. That's the whole point of a sim to me. Not to Nascar them out (or whatever other racing that's comparitive) making them all the same fuckin car with different names.

Completing challenges will unlock a couple things, not only give you money. You can also play your own music while you play once that is unlocked. There are more challenges than you think. ;)

Endless stream of cars, shit loads of tracks, some I've really fuckin missed. I do miss the lack of a sim mode as in previous gt's.

Also, in options, you can install the UMD and drastically reduce load times. I suggest you plug it in for this as it will only take 15min to install that way. Norm installed his while riding in the car with me and it took 45min.

It's pretty easy to make money and you can earn cars at a rate of 10 to 1 compared to how it will be in GT5. You will also be able to transfer your garage to GT5 once it's released. I personally will not be doing that. I would like to start fresh.

I know I'm missing some things and shit, but that's the gist.

I feel they really hit the spot just enough to fill in the void until the middle of next year and the release of GT5. Bastards. :p

I picked the game up on release day, and have to admit i am a little disappointed. No career mode, you can only shop at 4 dealers a day and the cars change, you can't mod the cars. This was supposed to be a release title. This thing should be all kinds of polished and ready to go. It seems more like a quick port from GT4 that couldn't live up to what GT3 was. If you want a decent portable race game this is still probably your best choice though. FWIW.

I picked the game up on release day, and have to admit i am a little disappointed. No career mode, you can only shop at 4 dealers a day and the cars change, you can't mod the cars. This was supposed to be a release title. This thing should be all kinds of polished and ready to go. It seems more like a quick port from GT4 that couldn't live up to what GT3 was. If you want a decent portable race game this is still probably your best choice though. FWIW.

You do understand the game is still a work in progress?

You do understand the game is still a work in progress?

Yes, but like i said, this was supposed to be a release title. It has been off and on again since before the psp was released. It should be more polished than it is for as much work has supposedly been done on it, and if it still isn't ready there is no way they should be asking $40 for it. I am just not happy with the product, for as long as i have been waiting on it. I mean this title is one of the reasons I bought a PSP, and i am left feeling like it is just a port of GT4.

I've been playing it, as well. (BTW, the parking brake is the R1 button.) The analog control is a bit weird to get used to but once used to it, is much better than using the digital control for steering. You can change these in options, I believe.

There is some tuning that is allowed if the car you have is 'favorited'. Also, I'm not concerned with the lack of parts or in depth tuning simply because I enjoy racing the cars as they are. Stock for stock. That's the whole point of a sim to me. Not to Nascar them out (or whatever other racing that's comparitive) making them all the same fuckin car with different names.

Completing challenges will unlock a couple things, not only give you money. You can also play your own music while you play once that is unlocked. There are more challenges than you think. ;)

Endless stream of cars, shit loads of tracks, some I've really fuckin missed. I do miss the lack of a sim mode as in previous gt's.

Also, in options, you can install the UMD and drastically reduce load times. I suggest you plug it in for this as it will only take 15min to install that way. Norm installed his while riding in the car with me and it took 45min.

It's pretty easy to make money and you can earn cars at a rate of 10 to 1 compared to how it will be in GT5. You will also be able to transfer your garage to GT5 once it's released. I personally will not be doing that. I would like to start fresh.

I know I'm missing some things and shit, but that's the gist.

I feel they really hit the spot just enough to fill in the void until the middle of next year and the release of GT5. Bastards. :p

GT5 is scheduled for release 2/2/2010 but we know how that goes

GT5 is scheduled for release 2/2/2010 but we know how that goes

I read recently it was scheduled for release in Japan in June of 2010 with a very quick release to the US. Supposedly, they were only waiting for advertising talks to finish and that would be the delay or some shit. I wish I could remember where I saw that article. When did you hear about the Feb date? I'd much rather believe yours. :D

Update:

Seems they're calling for a March '10 release. I'm not sure if that's a global or Japanese market release date, though.

Edited by ImUrOBGYN
Update

I read recently it was scheduled for release in Japan in June of 2010 with a very quick release to the US. Supposedly, they were only waiting for advertising talks to finish and that would be the delay or some shit. I wish I could remember where I saw that article. When did you hear about the Feb date? I'd much rather believe yours. :D

Update:

Seems they're calling for a March '10 release. I'm not sure if that's a global or Japanese market release date, though.

Gamestop said it was scheduled for jan 2010, then it was just changed to feb 2010 so those dates more than likely are B.S. to get people to pre-order early, on another site called Gamefaqs they show a release date of 12/9/2009 for Europe but nothing for Japan and the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...
Can you upgrade the cars ? I thought I read you couldn't.

The way tuning works in the game is kind of like the tuning in GT5 Prologue but more simplified. For a regular race you can change spring height, rate, damper, toe, and camber. No tuning options for transmission. You can adjust HP and Weight by up to 10%, but you cannot do this in Time Trial mode or Race mode, only in Drift mode.

I am very pleased with the game. The physics are very impressive as are the graphics. The best part of it for me is the track selection. There are no license tests like in the previous games, but there are 102 challenges (btw Christian, I have 41 Gold now, busted).

Car selection is great, JGTC 300 and 500 cars are back, LM spec race cars, Formula 1 Cars, Trucks are back along with classic American muscle, I just bought a Honda Odyssey, and if you pre-ordered the game you got a special car to start out (I got a Black Veyron).

I am also at S on 12 tracks so HA! again Christian.

The way tuning works in the game is kind of like the tuning in GT5 Prologue but more simplified. For a regular race you can change spring height, rate, damper, toe, and camber. No tuning options for transmission. You can adjust HP and Weight by up to 10%, but you cannot do this in Time Trial mode or Race mode, only in Drift mode.

I am very pleased with the game. The physics are very impressive as are the graphics. The best part of it for me is the track selection. There are no license tests like in the previous games, but there are 102 challenges (btw Christian, I have 41 Gold now, busted).

Car selection is great, JGTC 300 and 500 cars are back, LM spec race cars, Formula 1 Cars, Trucks are back along with classic American muscle, I just bought a Honda Odyssey, and if you pre-ordered the game you got a special car to start out (I got a Black Veyron).

I am also at S on 12 tracks so HA! again Christian.

Fuckin jerk! I don't know where I'm at, now. I haven't done challenges in a week or more. It's funny we've probably switched, now. I've been buying shitloads of cars and not doing challenges. I eased off yesterday because I've been waintg for a f'n reventon to come up and don't want to be short on money. Haven't seen a new zr1, yet, either.

Stats:

116 cars

Dist driven: 1789.0 miles

Total Credits: $10,987,385

Single Player # of victories: 313

Challenges: 36 Gold, 42 Silver, 6 Bronze = 84/102 Challenges completed

Driver Levels: S-13, A-59 No B's, C's, or D's.

I go one race with one car, then switch cars. No matter what the car though I've finally stopped using 60hp cars for shit like Circuit de la Sarthe. lol BTW, I got those driver levels by beating the cpu in one lap. :D Takes a couple wins to get them to S, though.

Be prepared to cry when I whip your ass in a few weeks, ad-hoc. ;)

Well, I´ve got a new ZR1 along with an Pikes Peak Escudo. I´ve been doing 2-4 lap races except on Nurburg and Circuit de la Sarthe.

54 Cars

Dist driven 1145.3 miles

Total Credits $9,836,350

Victories 133

Challenges 41 Gold, 30 Silver, 13 Bronze = 84/102

Driver Levels S-12, A-4, B-5, C-8, D-43.

You didn´t have to beat God of War, that took up a lot of time, lol.

Fuckin jerk! I don't know where I'm at, now. I haven't done challenges in a week or more. It's funny we've probably switched, now. I've been buying shitloads of cars and not doing challenges. I eased off yesterday because I've been waintg for a f'n reventon to come up and don't want to be short on money. Haven't seen a new zr1, yet, either.

Stats:

116 cars

Dist driven: 1789.0 miles

Total Credits: $10,987,385

Single Player # of victories: 313

Challenges: 36 Gold, 42 Silver, 6 Bronze = 84/102 Challenges completed

Driver Levels: S-13, A-59 No B's, C's, or D's.

I go one race with one car, then switch cars. No matter what the car though I've finally stopped using 60hp cars for shit like Circuit de la Sarthe. lol BTW, I got those driver levels by beating the cpu in one lap. :D Takes a couple wins to get them to S, though.

Be prepared to cry when I whip your ass in a few weeks, ad-hoc. ;)

Well, I´ve got a new ZR1 along with an Pikes Peak Escudo. I´ve been doing 2-4 lap races except on Nurburg and Circuit de la Sarthe.

54 Cars

Dist driven 1145.3 miles

Total Credits $9,836,350

Victories 133

Challenges 41 Gold, 30 Silver, 13 Bronze = 84/102

Driver Levels S-12, A-4, B-5, C-8, D-43.

You didn´t have to beat God of War, that took up a lot of time, lol.

FUCK! i have a lot of catching up to do

Whatever you do don't lend your PSP memory card to someone to play the game. It will delete your save when you put it into yours. I had to start over.

Really? Shit, definitely have to keep that in mind. I haven't had something like that happen since my PS1 days. I learned then to never use anything other than a sony memory cars for the ps's after that. I had more than one memory card either erase itself or corrupt all the data on it. I used to play alot of rpgs and there's nothing like losing hours and hours of playtime. There are a couple games I never went back and finished becuz of that.