ccw story!

sciongirl

so as some of you know, my step dad is the manager at Otooles on W. Broad St. and saturday night as they were closing up, there was a group of guys that stumbled out of Front Row a couple doors down. i guess they were making so much ruckus Stacey started watching them and he said some girl pulled up to pick them up and one of the guys pulled her outta the car and started beating the shit outta her. he said the girl was like 120lbs and the dude was like 300lbs.. said he picked her up, slammed her down, punching and kicking her.. so Stacey called the police and got a couple of the guys that were there to come out and help stop this guy and i guess this big guy started to come toward Stacey. well Stacey carries a 9mm haha... he said the guy wouldnt stop coming toward him so he pulled it out and pointed it right at him... the guy stopped! and then the cops showed up, took the bad guy to jail...

i asked him if he would have shot him... he said yep.. two to the chest, but he didnt wanna deal with the paper work haha.

so anyone here that has a ccw ever have to pull it out like that??

I have never had to pull mine. but I am curious what the police said to him about it?

i think he said he put it away before they pulled up but he did tell them he was carrying and that he did pull it out. the officers didnt have any problem with it i guess. they said he did everything right.

I am pro CCW, but there are some serious ramifications, and wording in the law that prevents you from using your ccw to defend someone else.

I think you have the obligation to take flight, get out of the area, etc. Now it may be a different story when the police show up. How they determine how things happen and word the report could change things...

I am pro CCW, but there are some serious ramifications, and wording in the law that prevents you from using your ccw to defend someone else.

I think you have the obligation to take flight, get out of the area, etc. Now it may be a different story when the police show up. How they determine how things happen and word the report could change things...

You can protect someone else with the same amount of force you would need to protect yourself.

You can protect someone else with the same amount of force you would need to protect yourself.

Exactly, if you feel that someone else's life is in danger you can use lethal force just as you would for yourself. You have no duty to retreat if they cannot retreat themselves.

No there isn't. The problem is that you need to be there to witness the whole situation go down. If I miss 5 seconds of what happened, I am probably going to stay back and just call the cops.

No there isn't. The problem is that you need to be there to witness the whole situation go down. If I miss 5 seconds of what happened, I am probably going to stay back and just call the cops.

This.

Scenario 1 of many possible: lets say you see 2 guys already fighting and one's swinging on the other with a bat and it looks like he intends to kill the guy. You drop the guy with the bat only to find out he was initially attacked by this other guy who is holding a knife you don't see... You're in some shit now.

Carrying a gun around won't make you a cop. It's not your job to get in the middle of things that don't involve you, and if you decide to be the "good guy" and help out you'd better be sure of the circumstances.

Obviously this is a different scenario, but I agree that you don't want to be too quick to jump in and "save" someone else unless you're 100% sure you're in the right.

I thought you were anti ccw

i am to a point... i think its good to know that its being used for something good and in this case, helped this lady out and he didnt need to shoot anyone...

im just fearful of people i dont know around me, carrying a weapon. it doesnt make me feel safe.

Page 21 from Ohio CCW manual:

"The law specifically discourages citizens from taking matters into their own hands and acting as law enforcement agents. This is true even if the person thinks he is performing a good deed by protecting someone or helping law enforcement. The Ohio Supreme Court has rule that a person risks criminal charges if he interferes in a struggle and protects the person who was at fault, even if he mistakenly believed that person did not create that situation."

Whiccchhh means stay the fuck out of that situation of defending someone else. Additionally, you need to meet the 3 conditions to use deadly force: 1.) Duty to retreat, 2.) Resonable belief of harm, and 3.) Defendant is not at fault.

So, say they chick pulled up and started provoking, calling names to the 300lb dude. She is partially at fault. He beats the shit out of her, you approach and shoot his ass. Under the condition of "defendant is not at fault", you could be charged criminally for shooting him. Im guessing the guy with the gun heard 0% of the initial conversation, to determine who was at fault.

Page 21 from Ohio CCW manual:

"The law specifically discourages citizens from taking matters into their own hands and acting as law enforcement agents. This is true even if the person thinks he is performing a good deed by protecting someone or helping law enforcement. The Ohio Supreme Court has rule that a person risks criminal charges if he interferes in a struggle and protects the person who was at fault, even if he mistakenly believed that person did not create that situation."

Whiccchhh means stay the fuck out of that situation of defending someone else. Additionally, you need to meet the 3 conditions to use deadly force: 1.) Duty to retreat, 2.) Resonable belief of harm, and 3.) Defendant is not at fault.

So, say they chick pulled up and started provoking, calling names to the 300lb dude. She is partially at fault. He beats the shit out of her, you approach and shoot his ass. Under the condition of "defendant is not at fault", you could be charged criminally for shooting him. Im guessing the guy with the gun heard 0% of the initial conversation, to determine who was at fault.

i would assume its safe to say he didnt hear 100% of the whole conversation no.. but he didnt pull the gun out for her... he pulled it out when the guy was coming after him. if that matters? i dunno these laws

i would assume its safe to say he didnt hear 100% of the whole conversation no.. but he didnt pull the gun out for her... he pulled it out when the guy was coming after him. if that matters? i dunno these laws

If not for defense of her, he has the Duty to retreat. Like get the fuck out of the area. It would be different if he were at home. That rule goes out the window in Ohio, as you have no Duty to Retreat your home.

If not for defense of her, he has the Duty to retreat. Like get the fuck out of the area. It would be different if he were at home. That rule goes out the window in Ohio, as you have no Duty to Retreat your home.

i guess i see your point...but as citizin, are you really not going to but in? gun or not. i mean.. he didnt come running into the fight waving a gun. he just wanted the guy off the chick.

I think a good choice was made there.

I have never pulled it, but one night I thought I was gonna have to. Hanging at 711 one night and started home on bikes. Wife pulls up beside me and says "I need gas". Just before we started to get on 71N from 11th. I asked how long her light had been on and she said a long time..."I forgot". I said OK, lets just keep up 11th to Cleveland, go left and there is a Sunoco up there...What a bad idea. I'm pumping her gas and thugs came from no where. Came over and kinda surrounded her/us. She was positioned where she could not back her bike up, so I needed to get off mine to push her back. They started talking reckless and was in our personal space. I thought that was going to be the night.