weird looking spiders?

pontiacfreak142

Guest tbutera2112

just saw a half dollar size fat hairy wolf spider on the wall about 6 inches over my bed

captured it in a container to ensure it could not escape, and then i dumped it on the floor and smashed it *not into my carpet*

We had bee problems, until I found a 4 inch long preying mantis living in my garden, I tossed him in my terrarium and began feeding him bees and wasps. No more bee problem.

If you were catching said bees and wasps, anyway, wouldn't that have been the cure to your issue in the first place? ;)

If you think your spiders are bad, try living in Oklahoma for a day or two. I havent seen one smaller than a quarter since I've been here. There was a huge one on my back porch a few weeks ago, about as big as the ball of my foot, I know because the legs were still sticking out when I stomped him. I've seen a few black widows and brown recluses too.

fuck that, i would be carrying my paintball gun with me to shoot the bastards lol.

I killed a wolf spider out on the back porch last night. And of course it was a female so all the little babies started running everywhere. Had to get out the bug spray and spray em all down. (Something to think about if you kill one in your home, the babies cling to the females)

and yes, i did cut his ass in half lol

Hard to say for sure since I can't make out it's thorax and you have the abdomen upside down, but it looks like a species of orb weaver. Nocturnal, build a new web every evening. Wasps love 'em. Relatively harmless to humans. They're very common down south and I can't count the amount of time i've run through a web of theirs and was forced into the 'freakout and run around smacking myself" dance. I've seen these things spread a web across an entire dirt road before in Texas. Here are some pics. They are not the exact same markings, but there are many very closely related species and marking may differ between members of the same species. The shape should be the same, though.

http://eecue.com/img/images_pic-medium-27700-Common_Orb_Weaver.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/noshoes/orb-weaver-1.jpg

http://share.triangle.com/sites/share-uda.triangle.com/files/images/Orb%20Weaver%20Spider%208-14-08%203.preview.JPG

Oh, and if that was it, here's some more info. If you have an outside light and a porch or corner or whatever, these guys will be find their way to it as long as the weather isn't too cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb-weaver_spider

I get those at my house they get big . If you catch a moth and throw the moth in there web they go ape shit ! do it some time, its amazing how fast they have the moth wrapped up in there web .

If you were catching said bees and wasps, anyway, wouldn't that have been the cure to your issue in the first place? ;)

Once they started disappearing, it's like they all figured it out.

Bee: "Yo man, I wouldn't go over there if I were you."

Wasp: "Why not? That porch is like perfect for my little nest-jobbie."

Bee: "Yeah, they got lots of good tasting flowers, too. I'm just sayin, man, lots of bees go over there and don't come back. Cept for old Buzz, that is. Came home one day after bein out for 12 hours, all exhausted and beat up. All he could say was ""Monster"", then he passed out. Hasn't been the same since."

Wasp: "Damn, that sounds creepy. I'll let my homies know. thanks for the heads up."

I had to let one of the bees go, as it was just beating itself against the glass while Rex (The mantis) was eating it's cousin. Thats what I get for putting two in at a time. I think that when they first get dropped in and see all the discarded chewed up wings, they know it's bad juju.

Camera Phone Pic.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/lhiannonshee/1010091206.jpg

lol Nice back story. You should see the size of the female mantis I have now. She's a good 4-4.5 inches, at least. They generally lay their egg sacs between Sep and Oct, as well. I'd take a pic if my damn camera was working. So, far we've had them in the backyard every year. And every year, there's always at least one newborn female that remains around the same bushes by my backdoor. Obviously, there's a male sneaking around somewhere, too, since I get a new egg sac every year.

lol Nice back story. You should see the size of the female mantis I have now. She's a good 4-4.5 inches, at least. They generally lay their egg sacs between Sep and Oct, as well. I'd take a pic if my damn camera was working. So, far we've had them in the backyard every year. And every year, there's always at least one newborn female that remains around the same bushes by my backdoor. Obviously, there's a male sneaking around somewhere, too, since I get a new egg sac every year.

your quite the bug guy christian. ;)

your quite the bug guy christian. ;)

:D I love everything from ants to elephants. I began with marine biology but started becoming more interested in entomology. I do love some bugs. I've found I can tell the most disinterested bug person things about insects that they'll find amazing to unbelievable.