grandam ignition switch removal

Reed44

im working on an 04 grandam trying to replace the ignition switch but I don't know how to get it out of the black case its in. the key won't turn either and I have the radio and such out for this

Guest Removed

3. Insert the key to the ignition lock cylinder.

4. Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the switch:

4.1. Using a small curved tool or an L-shaped hex wrench, depress and hold the detent on the ignition lock cylinder. If you cannot locate the detent with the tool, remove the radio. View the detent through the radio opening.

4.2. Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.

4.3. Pull the ignition lock cylinder out with the key.

5. Remove the key from the lock cylinder.

the key has to turn to get the switch out and the cylinder. what works best for me is to pull the key out about 1/16 to an 1/8" and then tap on the key head with a screwdriver while holding the key trying to turn it. just like lock bumping. so far its worked 100% of the time i have done it.

Guest Removed
the key has to turn to get the switch out and the cylinder. what works best for me is to pull the key out about 1/16 to an 1/8" and then tap on the key head with a screwdriver while holding the key trying to turn it. just like lock bumping. so far its worked 100% of the time i have done it.

thats the issue he is having tho...he cant turn the key!

thats the issue he is having tho...he cant turn the key!

yeah i know, thats why i said to tap on it with a screw driver.

so what's the difference between the key switch and the lock cylinder. I thought it was just one piece? when tapping the key do I tap inward or the direction of the turn?

tap inward. they are 2 pieces, switch is the electrical part and the cylinder is the key part with the passlock sensor.

edit: also if your only replacing it because the key won't turn then you only need the ignition cylinder not the switch. you'll need to recode it to match your key as well.

Guest Removed
that's why its being replaced. so I only have to get it to turn then push the button and it slides out. should I do the 10 min or 30 min re learn procedure?

those dont work that way.

those dont work that way.

those do work that way.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start). Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  6. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.