Radiator hot one side/cold the other...cause?

carl1647545492

Popped the hood and felt my radiator was hot on the inlet side and was cold on the other or at least the top half was,I guess it could be clogged?

So I installed a new t stat and flushed the radiator pretty well and filled with fresh coolant and still its cold one side,could it still be clogged? the water pump does not have a lot of miles on it but have not checked that yet,ideas?

This is not meant to sound like a smart ass answer, but it should obviously be cooler at the outlet. If the thermostat just opened up, it could, for a time, feel hot at the inlet and cold at the outlet until it runs for a while and the temperature stabilizes.

If the thermostat has opened and then it's run for 5 minutes or so and it's still "cold", odds are you have some blockage. Testing the temperature at multiple points on the core will help to tell you where (not that you can really "pinpoint" flush the spot.

If the blockage is bad, flushing may not solve the problem, the "flush" will take the path of least resistance and just "go around" the spot. If you don't have adequate cooling just leaving it alone, you'll probably be stuck replacing it or taking it to a radiator shop to be boiled out.

Temps are within spec but it will bother me driving like that.

If the thermostat has opened and then it's run for 5 minutes or so and it's still "cold", odds are you have some blockage. Testing the temperature at multiple points on the core will help to tell you where (not that you can really "pinpoint" flush the spot.

I will try that,are their any products that would be safe to "clean" a aluminum radiator if I removed it and let it sit overnight?

Did a muriatic acid flush and a lot of crud came out,neatralized it with baking soda and shes fixed.

I was not expecting it to work but it did and have a nice clean radiator that is warm over both sides,the only side effect was it burns into your nostrils and you smell it all day lol