school me on projectors....

SRTurbo04

So I have been throwing the idea out there of upgrading from my current tv….a rca 52 inch 1080 big screen… it's just way to small for the room 25/22 (or maybe 20 I forget these days) feet room.

the next TV I would like to get would have to be 65+ inch but wow they are expensive. after seeing a lot of friends setups for home theaters with projectors I've been looking here and there at them.

Can anyone school me on projectors….. pros and cons ?

I mainly play Xbox an watch a few TVs shows a night so maybe 3 to -5 hours a day MAX.

does anyone here use one on a daily basis…. can a projector be used as a daily TV? everywhere I read it always comes back to this projector. for its price, ease, an good quality and it screens in 1080

http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=24767&itmname=BenQ+W1000

also I see that the lamp life is only about 3000 hours… are lamps known to fail prematurely… are they easy/cheap to replace a lamp.?

thank you ahead of time for your opinions an help.

Edited by Paul
jones is a bitch

are lambs known to fail prematurely

I find that a lambs life expectancy depends on the quality of farmer that raised them.

Oh, and what is the lighting situation like in the room? That will have a huge impact on the money you'll have to spend for a projector setup!

I use a 100" inch fixed frame Carada screen and an HD projector in a dedicated theater room, with controlled lighting. I highly recommend them if you have the proper environment. For most 'living rooms' its probably not the best choice due to the relatively poor performance in even normal daytime lighting conditions. Modern projectors with high (actual not advertised) lumens will fair better, but it can't really match most other standard tv's most of the time, and generally even less at the consumer-friendly end.

Lamp life is a combination of care/luck/use. For one you have to careful not to touch the glass during the installation of a lamp, you also have to hope you didn't get a fucking dud, and you can stretch your hours by using the economy mode in most projectors. In a controlled room, that's not really an issue, but you may need to run the lamp in 'high output' mode to make it more usable in less perfect conditions.

Another important factor is the type of screen you are going to use, fixed, pulldown, gray, white, a sheet hung from the wall, reflective paint there are quite a few options, cheap and not so cheap, and they all have ups and downs. Decent screens that look professional are expectantly un-cheap and screen cost needs to be accounted for when shopping for a projector. The cheaper solutions available seem to work just fine, but will not provide the detail of a more expensive option. Also shooting on a blank wall looks like ass.

Keep in mind as well that there are DLP's you can buy in the 65" range for about a grand. Heres a mitsu for 999.00 shipped.

http://www.buy.com/prod/mitsubishi-wd-65c9-65-widescreen-1080p-dlp-hdtv-120hz/q/loc/111/212443538.html

Edited by sol740

its in a game room in the basement two small windows 2 feet by 1 feet) which will be covered when in use. so 100% no light in room. all walls are white

i was going to use the wall or a sheet untill i can get a really good screen.

an if im going to spend the $ on a projector i woudl like atleast 100 inch capabable use out of it

its in a game room in the basement two small windows 2 feet by 1 feet) which will be covered when in use. so 100% no light in room. all walls are white

i was going to use the wall or a sheet untill i can get a really good screen.

an if im going to spend the $ on a projector i woudl like atleast 100 inch capabable use out of it

Basement = Ideal Projector territory.

Replacing bulbs in projectors is a fact of life. Even with 3000 hours, at 4-5 hours a day = 2-3 years. Not bad over-call. Invest in a QUALITY SCREEN, and don't just use chroma-paint on a wall.

Basement = Ideal Projector territory.

Replacing bulbs in projectors is a fact of life. Even with 3000 hours, at 4-5 hours a day = 2-3 years. Not bad over-call. Invest in a QUALITY SCREEN, and don't just use chroma-paint on a wall.

I totally agree. I stretched my first lamp to well over 3 years since it was a videogame/movie/sports monitor and not an everyday TV

I totally agree. I stretched my first lamp to well over 3 years since it was a videogame/movie/sports monitor and not an everyday TV

thats the thing though ill be gettin rid of my big screen an this will be my everyday tv as well. obviusly itll shroten the life . are new lamps affordable to replace?

http://WWW.avsforums.com real good site to learn about projector and home theatre. I will have to post a pic of my theatre. I have a Mitsubishi HC1600 ceiling mount projected to an elite fixed frame 100" screen. It is a dedicated theatre room so it does not get used except movies and sports watching.