Make it so FBS

sol740

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4725887

The BCS should put this together on their own. Fucking terrible that this has to come about. Yes, there are more pressing issues than football. Most of these schools are public colleges though, so no "the government should butt out" bullshit.

I've preached this before, but here are some reasons why I would love to see a playoff. I can see 0 reasons outside of money as to why it shouldn't be.

*All other college sports use a playoff, including college football FCS, just excluding former Div1 FBS.*

*All other bowl games outside of the NC game are basically pointless exhibition games, that schools and fans pretend are their own "little championship" in order to make more money*

*The bowls could still exist as separate entities and be included in a tournament*

*Players need not stress their bodies more, or miss class if 1-2 of the non-conference games are eliminated (not that the FCS players don't do this year after year and still graduate and stay relatively healthy, let alone basketball players, or shit, HIGHSCHOOL)*

*The only real way to know who is the best each year is to prove it on the field of play, not by voting (educating guessing), or computers (stat pumping that is and always will be affected by strength/ease of schedule, among other factors). The ranking system could stay the same*

*The cinderella stories that are so exciting in other sports pro, and amateur don't happen in college football because the powers that be don't let it. Even if a team does beat 'whoever' in 'whatever' bowl, it means nothing. Who could say Cincy or TCU doesn't deserve a shot. What's the point of playing if you can go undefeated in your conference and still not get a chance ?*

*Would still be a massive revenue generator for all involved, and you could even do a tournament for the schools outside of a top 16/32 style playoff, similar to basketball*

I am curious to see the opposing arguments. Poll ?

I'm sick of reading about this.

The bill, if you actually read the whole thing, would only require the BCS to stop calling the National Championship Game a National Championship Game. It does absolutely NOTHING to force a playoff. ZILCH

The bill, if you actually read the whole thing, would only require the BCS to stop calling the National Championship Game a National Championship Game. It does absolutely NOTHING to force a playoff. ZILCH

Correct, it nudges by disallowing the name. Also if you're sick of reading about it, stop reading about it.

Correct, it nudges by disallowing the name. Also if you're sick of reading about it, stop reading about it.

It does not nudge at all.

Be prepared for the Bowl Series and the Bowl Series Title Game.

If that doesn't work, be prepared for college football to go back to the pre-BCS setup. Congress cannot force FBS to do anything they don't want to do (theoretically) that is within the law. They are claiming that CALLING the BCS the National Championship game is false advertisement. If that is the only case they have against it, don't expect to see any changes moving forward besides a name change.

And I am sick of reading about it because nobody understands what the bill really is and they get all excited about it. Plus, if Cincy gets destroyed by Florida, don't expect to see any further movement on this.

It does not nudge at all.

Be prepared for the Bowl Series and the Bowl Series Title Game.

If that doesn't work, be prepared for college football to go back to the pre-BCS setup. Congress cannot force FBS to do anything they don't want to do (theoretically) that is within the law. They are claiming that CALLING the BCS the National Championship game is false advertisement. If that is the only case they have against it, don't expect to see any changes moving forward besides a name change.

And I am sick of reading about it because nobody understands what the bill really is and they get all excited about it. Plus, if Cincy gets destroyed by Florida, don't expect to see any further movement on this.

Nudging is exactly what it does, and you can argue the semantics of it all day long, but that's not really what I was going for in this thread. I am for a playoff, anything that goes into suggesting that is possible/maybeish is a plus in my book. Is it the most pressing or important thing ? Obviously not. Not every bill that passes is "the most important shit ever", and most of the important stuff is debated endlessly anyway.

Calling it a National Championship is false advertisement. The aim of the bill is have a playoff put into effect. Hence why it is called the "college football playoff act of 2009" after all, if changing a name dodges that, or there are no provisions for synonyms of the word 'championship', that would be pretty sad.

I am rooting for Cincy (even if I think they're going to get decimated) though. As far as "nobody understands ... the bill", I read the bill, understood it just fine, and thought it was a hilarious.

Calling it a National Championship is false advertisement. The aim of the bill is have a playoff put into effect. Hence why it is called the "college football playoff act of 2009" after all, if changing a name dodges that, or there are no provisions for synonyms of the word 'championship', that would be pretty sad.

But wait, you said

I read the bill, understood it just fine, and thought it was a hilarious.

Obviously not.

Let me say this simply for you, since you don't understand big money bureaucracy

THE BILL WILL DO NOTHING TO MOVE TOWARDS A PLAYOFF.

You seem to have a difficult time comprehending the point to this thread so I will spell it out for you, SIMPLY as you put it. Nowhere did I say that I think this is going to happen. Just that it reinforces the idea of having a playoff, and that I (a college football fan) want that. The only thing I said was that I was FOR A PLAYOFF. Then I listed reasons. You then jumped in here espousing your unlimited knowledge of "big money bureaucracy" and had a tangent about semantics. Such as ...

But wait, you said

Obviously not.

Let me say this simply for you, since you don't understand big money bureaucracy

THE BILL WILL DO NOTHING TO MOVE TOWARDS A PLAYOFF.

That's great, again where did I say this would move the current system into playoff ? I stated I agreed with a playoff, and why, and that this bill reinforces (nudges if you will) that such a change is the only fair way to crown a champion. It is. Please point out where I jumped up and down and said "THANK GOD THERE'S GOING TO BE A FUCKING PLAYOFF !!! LOOK AT THE PROOF !!! IT SAYS SO HERE !!!".

You seem to have a difficult time comprehending the point to this thread so I will spell it out for you, SIMPLY as you put it. Nowhere did I say that I think this is going to happen. Just that it reinforces the idea of having a playoff, and that I (a college football fan) want that. The only thing I said was that I was FOR A PLAYOFF. Then I listed reasons. You then jumped in here espousing your unlimited knowledge of "big money bureaucracy" and had a tangent about semantics. Such as ...

That's great, again where did I say this would move the current system into playoff ? I stated I agreed with a playoff, and why, and that this bill reinforces (nudges if you will) that such a change is the only fair way to crown a champion. It is. Please point out where I jumped up and down and said "THANK GOD THERE'S GOING TO BE A FUCKING PLAYOFF !!! LOOK AT THE PROOF !!! IT SAYS SO HERE !!!".

backpedal.

The bill does nothing. No nudge, nothing. Bitch at me all you want.

backpedal.

The bill does nothing. No nudge, nothing. Bitch at me all you want.

Where did I backpedal ?

Bitching ? Me thinks you're taking your internets too serious :). You have an opinion, and I respect that, but you charged in with the "so sick of this" "you don't understand" isms and I responded. I think you're simply misunderstanding my point, but whatever. Why include yourself in this thread if you're so tired of hearing about it ? I'm asking that seriously.

Where did I backpedal ?

Bitching ? Me thinks you're taking your internets too serious :). You have an opinion, and I respect that, but you charged in with the "so sick of this" "you don't understand" isms and I responded. I think you're simply misunderstanding my point, but whatever. Why include yourself in this thread if you're so tired of hearing about it ? I'm asking that seriously.

Because people are getting their hopes up over absolutely nothing. While doing that they are overlooking the fact that Congress is arguing over the name of the final BCS game.

Because people are getting their hopes up over absolutely nothing. While doing that they are overlooking the fact that Congress is arguing over the name of the final BCS game.

I don't have my hopes up, believe me. That doesn't mean I don't want it though. When I started this thread it was more to hear opposing arguments to a "playoff", not necessarily to debate the likelihood of the bill causing major changes. Though wouldn't I be giddy if it did ?

As far as whether the government should be wasting time with college football, that is arguable, and I think it's sad that it has even popped up at this level. IMHO a tournament should have existed decades ago. Why hasn't it ? We all know the answer.