the cycle company

cavscout73

the cycle company (columbus)

how many of you guys have bought a bike through these guys?

I bought my 929 from them.

I cannot really complain a bit they held a bike for 4 months for me while I was still overseas, the price on the bike was pretty decent and overall it seems like a decent shop, just make sure you have a chance to check out the bike good before you actually buy it. they are sold as is no warranty which again I am not complaining because of the bike being a 2001.

unfortunately I couldnt really check it out in the middle of the snowstorm I picked it up in and when the weather finally broke, I had rode for maybe 15 minutes and the charging system is not working, I have yet to get it narrowed down to the stator or R/R , the battery appears new and tests fine..

there are a few other small issues with the bike I have found that a good service before sale would have taken care of. ie: rear brake pads shot, and the fender elimator wiring not hooked up properly.

I have talked to the guy at the shop and told him about the charging issue and was offered the parts at his cost, which really isnt any better than I can get them for online.

I am kinda pissy because I shouldnt have mechanical issues in the first 10 miles of riding, on a bike that was supposed to be checked out and sold by a dealer, but at the same time it is just as much my fault for not looking it over better when i bought it...

not sure if my ramblings make a lot of sense

Makes sense, and is why we aren't happy with some of the local iron horse traders...

Best guess is mucked up wiring, since you mentioned the fender eliminator wiring.

How somebody could have messed up the charging circuit is the mystery. Make sure that the fender eliminator wiring isn't reversed somewhere.

Rectifiers seldom go bad, and stators seldom go bad unless damaged when the side cover is off. (Honda did have some bad stator designs in the 80s.) Stators also cost a lot and would be the last thing I bought. Time to use a multimeter and check for shorts and opens, or high resistance somewhere, or loose connections.

One way is to disconnect everything you can (or fuses), and try running the bike to see if the problem is still there. At least you will know some of what isn't causing the problem.

• 1 month later...

OKay update time

I got the stator in charging issue solved, it started once and then nothing again, called the shop took it in to them, I had to go out of town for the weekend before I even got home they called and said it was done... replaced spark plugs, did a few other little things and they said it is good to go. they also said the brakes need bled so they took care of that, found a faulty speed sensor which they ordered and are replacing for me.. talked to them about the power commander and I think they are gonna pop that in when I go back for the speed sensor.. like I had said before I bought it used without warranty and they did this all without charge to me

so all in all. barring the bike just going to shit a week after I get it back I am very satisfied with them ....

OKay update time

I got the stator in charging issue solved, it started once and then nothing again, called the shop took it in to them, I had to go out of town for the weekend before I even got home they called and said it was done... replaced spark plugs, did a few other little things and they said it is good to go. they also said the brakes need bled so they took care of that, found a faulty speed sensor which they ordered and are replacing for me.. talked to them about the power commander and I think they are gonna pop that in when I go back for the speed sensor.. like I had said before I bought it used without warranty and they did this all without charge to me

so all in all. barring the bike just going to shit a week after I get it back I am very satisfied with them ....

Wow. That I would say is a GREAT experience.

Wow. That I would say is a GREAT experience.

BIG +1

I'd say that's AWESOME that they took care of ALL that at no charge to you!! Good on the Cycle Company! clap.gif