Remington 700 series rifles

John Bruh

I'm looking for a .308 rifle since im going to build a 5.56 ar instead of a .308 so i want to know what is a good option for the rifle. I came across this tell me what you think

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-4527-1435-remington-700-sps-varmint-left-hand-308-win.aspx

and yes im left handed and have to have a left handed rifle since the stocks have the rise for the scope.

The Remington 700 is like the small block chevy of the gun market. Anything and everything is out there for it. It's the choice rifle for the Army's M24, so that says something. I think you'll be quite happy with your selection, just know that the big $$$$ lies in what glass you choose.

I have experience with the Leupold Mark 4, which is an excellent scope. But I know Nightforce, US Optics, and Zeiss are some well made brands aswell. With a good scope combo, the only other addition I say to make is a Harris Bipod, and you'll be set. If you plan on doing some distance shooting, it's never a bad thing to buy a spotting scope on a tri-pod to help you dial in.

Yep, the remy 700 is a good rifle, especially for someone who just wants to put in bullets and go. I'm kinda biased torwards the savages honestly, because the ones I've seen will shoot right with the nicer more expensive rifles but save a bunch of money. That being said, why would you want a precision rifle apart from an AR or something? Is a 2" group at 100 yards just not tight enough for you?

You realize it's going to take some doing to realize the accuracy of a nice rifle like that. If money is tight it may be better spent on a cheaper rifle and some practice/training.

That being said, why would you want a precision rifle apart from an AR or something? Is a 2" group at 100 yards just not tight enough for you?

You realize it's going to take some doing to realize the accuracy of a nice rifle like that. If money is tight it may be better spent on a cheaper rifle and some practice/training.

I am going to start an ar build and I want a rifle. am basically going to do what scotty mentioned, buy a nice optic and bi-pod and sight it in. as far as practic/training i am a pretty good shot right now, ill just hone my skill in with my next couple guns!

Yep, the remy 700 is a good rifle, especially for someone who just wants to put in bullets and go. I'm kinda biased torwards the savages honestly, because the ones I've seen will shoot right with the nicer more expensive rifles but save a bunch of money. That being said, why would you want a precision rifle apart from an AR or something? Is a 2" group at 100 yards just not tight enough for you?

AMEN.

I bought a bare bones 700 off of gun trader and sent it out to Mike @ Tac Ops -- I paid a pretty penny (x,xxx) but there's a target with a 2" center to center grouping shot from 750 yards off a bipod and sandbag. Before sending it out, it was around 1-1.55" groupings @ 100 yards on Federal Match 168 gr BTHP.

what exactly did he do to the gun for you?

Most of the $ you pay for accurizing is in the labor -- truing everything, lapping, crowning, making sure everything is absoulte center. Most of your working tolerances are set in the thousandths. I like the Remington trigger so I rock it @ 2 & 1/2 lbs. The barrel is swapped over to a cryoed Krieger 18", stock is changed to a bedded McMillian.

It's sort of a dyno queen that makes it out once a blue moon, but it's nice to have incase the zombies come and theres an opening for platoon snipers :)

I took the pepsi challenge at 300yds against a scoped 700 remington a couple years ago with a 49 dollar parts barrel mauser with iron sights I even shot surplus ammo. lets just say the remington failed to impress me it also failed to shoot better than the mauser :)

they make nice ring and scope packages for all three guns

if your interested in trying out the british or german rifle I'd be happy to loan one or both of them to you to try