leaking thermostat

Hoblick

while its winter i decided to change brake fluid, flush and fill coolant, etc. on my 04 r6.

i took it on one ride one day when it was warm enough to, and noticed that i smelled some coolant. didnt think anything of it because i figured i filled it to full and it was coming from the overflow tube.

well tonight i put on my new windscreen and put my hids in. i started the bike up to check out the lights, and saw some drops of coolant on the ground after it warmed up.

i traced the leak to the thermostat housing.

i started disassembling it thinking ill order a new gasket. well low and behold no gasket, its part of the thermostat.

my question is... is this common? did i do something wrong when i flushed and filled the system for it to start leaking? im not quite sure how to bleed the system, so i just filled let it run turned off broke the cap loose, and filled as needed, letting it cool down in between. just kept doing that until it was full. then topped the reservoir off.

so should i just go ahead and order a new thermostat? should i have any other concerns??

NO... but seriously, Im not sure on the type of thermo in there, is it the kind where there is a ruber ring around it? If so, just get a new thermo. They are cheap, and if youre taking the time to take it apart you might as well throw a in one in

i'm not sure what type of thermo is there, but you don't need to lay any gasket typically. you just simply replace the thermostat, it has an o-ring built in around the edge. don't hold me to this though, i haven't seen a yamaha one.