2011 (?) Buick Regal GS

Mallard

Nobody seems to care that it's coming with a 4 cylinder except for you. The Regal has always been a small to midsize car and it needs to compete in that market. That means it has to be competitive with the Camry, Accord, Sonota, and Fusion/Milan. With this model it will most certainly do that, plus offer something none of them have right now -- a DI turbo 4 cylinder, which gets V6 power and I4 fuel economy. In the coming years you will most likely see ALL of their competitors get similar engine treatments (EcoBoost). For once GM is ahead of the curve.

Now they have taken that normal, midsize sedan and made a performance car out of it, and it's a pretty darn good one at that! Unlike most of the recent Regal GS's.

They used the name Regal GS on the ~'98 FWD car with a 3800 S/C in it...shouldn't you have a problem with that too? Didn't they also use the name "T-Type" on crappy cars in the late 80's / early 90's?

You're living in the past and need to get over it. There is nothing so prestigious about the Regal GS name that this car can't live up to. They are not even using the Grand National, GNX, or T-type name, which is what I think you're hung up on.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone has a boatload of sand in their 98 buick vagina.

New buick is better than the 3800 powered variants by far...get used to it.

:)

Can you read? Can you follow a written conversation? Did I bring up the 3800 Regal as some exemplar of power, performance, and grace? No. The only way to excuse the 1st gen FWD Regal from being a pig and a rustbucket was to compare it to the rest of the market from when it came out. My only reference to it was to correct some dumbass who has no clue how shitty the rest of the class was back then.

What was my suggestion for the new Regal? A rebadged version of a brand new car, paired with an engine that is still in the end stage of testing. Does that sound to you like I'm salty about losing a good, reliable, but extremely outdated motor?

This car has NOTHING to do with any of the previous Regals. It's NOT replacing the Regal in the lineup. That spot is already filled. Why not use a new name and save the Regal name for a RWD model to bring back the GN as a Buick halo project to generate some real interest in the brand?

The only way to excuse the 1st gen FWD Regal from being a pig and a rustbucket was to compare it to the rest of the market from when it came out.

That's no excuse and that wasn't the point. You seem fixated on this idea that the Regal is some prestigious name that comes from a long line of RWD performance car heritage, and that this car somehow spits in the face of that heritage. My point is that in at least the last 20 years the Regal has stood for nothing except an average FWD midsize sedan. Hell, aside from the GN and T-Type the Regal name has been pretty much average. There's no prestige to destroy, and if there was some aura of greatness around the name by 1987, it's been destroyed in 1988-2004. No need to get angry now.

In fact if you look at it this way there should be no reason to be angry at all; The GN/T-type model took an average car and turned it into a performance car by creating the turbo 3.8L, which was an underdog of a motor. At that time, and for some time after, anything that was to be called a performance car NEEDED a V8. Instead they used a 'small' engine and added boost. Now GM has taken an average car and turned it into a performance car by installing a small, underdog of a motor and adding boost. It's the same formula except in the 80's V8's were all the rage and now high output V6's are.

Although, even if you don't agree with the above, it shouldn't matter since it's called the Regal and not the Grand National. Plus, it's already sold as the Regal in China, so they're not changing the name for us.

My only reference to it was to correct some dumbass who has no clue...

Wow, thanks for the compliment.

Dude, that's just how it is, it's been like this for a while. Impalas/Montes are FWD now, Malibus are FWD and 4-cylinder, yes even though they used to be muscle cars back in the day. They made a 4-cylinder Camaro and Mustang in the 80's. Who gives a shit? As long as they don't make a FWD Camaro/Corvette or a 4-cyl Grand National, I really don't see the problem. Like Mallard said, the Regal nameplate really isn't all that prestigious.

Dude, that's just how it is, it's been like this for a while. Impalas/Montes are FWD now, Malibus are FWD and 4-cylinder, yes even though they used to be muscle cars back in the day. They made a 4-cylinder Camaro and Mustang in the 80's. Who gives a shit? As long as they don't make a FWD Camaro/Corvette or a 4-cyl Grand National, I really don't see the problem. Like Mallard said, the Regal nameplate really isn't all that prestigious.

The point of saving the Regal name would be so that if they decide to try for a Grand National, it wouldn't be a stand-alone low-profit car. You'd intro the RWD Regal with an NA V6 and an option for AWD, then offer the Grand National as a RWD turbo-6 with an option for AWD, then bring out the GNX as an even higherr power turbo-6 with AWD standard. So instead of having it as a niche stand-alone that makes very few sales, you have a large market in the base and mid-level models to support the halo-car top option. The GS nameplate really doesn't mean anything. It was a truly insane package back when they offered it on most of the lineup in the 60s and early 70s, but almost no-one ever knew about it.