Toyota Recall.....again

3.1cutlass

"Toyota suggests drivers of the recalled vehicles should firmly apply their brakes if the gas pedal becomes stuck and contact their nearest Toyota dealer after parking in a safe location."

YOU MEAN RIGHT NOW!?!!?!?!??!?!

It's sad, they really need to fix the ECU programming while they are in for the pedal recall. Could have avoided this entire nonsense....or at least saved a few lives.

:(

I agree, and to my understanding pressing the brake while the gas pedal is stuck does not work.

IIRC you cannot shift it in to neutral while the car is in motion.

I don't know about other brands but from my Toyota/Lexus experience you can shift into neutral while the car is in motion, at least on the RX300, RX330, Corolla, Celica, and Rav4.

cant you just.. take the keys out?

You can but that's pretty dangerous as well.. don't forget about wheel lock. I would say it's safe to put the key in accessory mode, but in a situation like that it would be easy to lock the steering wheel, instead.

I agree, and to my understanding pressing the brake while the gas pedal is stuck does not work.

Yes, this does work. It was recently tested. Maybe, it was Motor Trend or someone else. I forget offhand. It was a test performed recently in light of this whole Toyota recall thing. Maybe, it won't work if you drive an old 5000lb American car with tiny little brakes/drums.

IIRC you cannot shift it in to neutral while the car is in motion.

I'm not sure about your car, but I could almost bet you could go out and do it right now. I have driven many, many cars for various reasons/jobs, and I can't think of a single time/manufacturer you couldn't throw the car into neutral from drive while in motion.

Yes, this does work. It was recently tested. Maybe, it was Motor Trend or someone else. I forget offhand. It was a test performed recently in light of this whole Toyota recall thing. Maybe, it won't work if you drive an old 5000lb American car with tiny little brakes/drums.

I'm not sure about your car, but I could almost bet you could go out and do it right now. I have driven many, many cars for various reasons/jobs, and I can't think of a single time/manufacturer you couldn't throw the car into neutral from drive while in motion.

My car it will shift into neutral but i had been told the new toyotas you could not.

cant you just.. take the keys out?

You could turn the car off and back on without starting out so no wheel lock, but you would lose vacuum in your brakes quickly plus this would take longer than some other options. I believe the best way, would be to apply the brakes and come to a stop. Putting it in neutral will, of course, make that easier and you won't have to worry about brake fade.

We're not speaking of the Engine power Vs Brake debate.

Most other DBW cars have a safety "defeat" built in. In the event that both the gas and brake and held down, the throttle gets shut and the brakes are TEH WINNAR. With the added bonus of having some vacuum back. ;)