Droid Crew: Overclocking

unfunnyryan

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-overclock-motorola-droid-to-1ghz-9140391/

I'm running 950mhz stable :)

The difference is incredible. All menus are truly smooth, apps running like never before. Its like sex with a really really hot dead hooker.

You do need root and adb and superuser access... but if you don't have that already, wtf!

Thats way too dangerous, but lots of people claim to run them at a stable 1.1ghz. I just think that running a 600mhz CPU that high isnt a good idea without extra cooling. They are running the nexus at 1.3ghz but its not very stable yet.

PS: Got the new nexus OTA update yesterday, google apps (browser, maps and Gallery) now have multitouch, and some other improvements and add ons

On one forum, a TI engineer stated that it can be run at higher frequencies, but 600mhz was just the most energy efficient and seemed to give the longest life (as in, 10+ years) I'm not really worried about running 950mhz. Only problem is I had to patch the wifi to get it to work again.

also, fuck your nexus for getting 2.1 before all the droid owners :(

On one forum, a TI engineer stated that it can be run at higher frequencies, but 600mhz was just the most energy efficient and seemed to give the longest life (as in, 10+ years) I'm not really worried about running 950mhz. Only problem is I had to patch the wifi to get it to work again.

also, fuck your nexus for getting 2.1 before all the droid owners :(

Cool. Yeah wifi and bluetooth seems to be the first to give you problems with mods like that.

Lol, I was running cyanogen's rom on my nexus and had to unroot, install OTA and then re-root, bit of a PITA. But this stock rom is solid, I cant think of anything that could be improved besides the keyboard. I just installed the HTC keyboard and its better, but looks like crap because it was designed for a lower resolution phone. I'm sure there will be a 2.1update1 ROM for droid soon enough, if not already.

So how much battery life do you sacrifice for the overclocking?

Negligible, since I have it set to underclock its self when the screen is off.

If I know I am going to be on it a long time, and want to maximize battery life, I can always underclock on the fly if I want to. SetCPU FTW!

Negligible, since I have it set to underclock its self when the screen is off.

If I know I am going to be on it a long time, and want to maximize battery life, I can always underclock on the fly if I want to. SetCPU FTW!

Ok how long is the battery life on average at normal speed?

Thats really hard to say. Depends on your usage, what you are doing, whether you are using 3g/wifi..

Of course you are going to get lower battery life if its overclocked and you are actively using it.. But I am able to charge my phone often enough that it doesn't matter.

Thats really hard to say. Depends on your usage, what you are doing, whether you are using 3g/wifi..

Of course you are going to get lower battery life if its overclocked and you are actively using it.. But I am able to charge my phone often enough that it doesn't matter.

Just curious on average how much you personally get. I get 3 days on my blackberry but it has an oversized battery. I am using it constantly. I probably text 1 hour a day, browse the internet at least 30 minutes, and over 4-5 hours of listening of mp3s over bluetooth headset.

Just curious on average how much you personally get. I get 3 days on my blackberry but it has an oversized battery. I am using it constantly. I probably text 1 hour a day, browse the internet at least 30 minutes, and over 4-5 hours of listening of mp3s over bluetooth headset.

You'd be lucky if you got a day out of it.

Actually I take that back, you would probably get a day out of it.

I'd say 12hours. This is what I would get from real heavy use of my G1, and a little bit better with my Nexus. But with average use I could go over 24hrs.

That is ok I guess. I can always recharge daily if I get a droid. I have a shitload of usb wires everywhere including work.

Flash is yet to be released, so no meatspin, lulz

This is a key sentence. A key note here, is that unlike iPhones, android devices WILL get flash, and the wait is not that far off.

And when it comes out I will overclock my phone farther to take full advantage of meatspin.

This is a key sentence. A key note here, is that unlike iPhones, android devices WILL get flash, and the wait is not that far off.

And when it comes out I will overclock my phone farther to take full advantage of meatspin.

Make that your background.