Tapatalk: Native mobile forum support

Rally Pat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update, I installed this on a forum I Admin, (phpBB). It's free to install on your board. If your users want to use it, they pay for the app. As for the login/Guest issue, if you have to login to see the board it asks you to login and you can only see the board if you login. The install to the forum was pretty easy, even for my dumbass.

Its not bad, its a little faster than using the browser since it only downloads the bare minimum. I have no problem just using the browser, and I dont really go on forums from my phone, but its only $2 so if CR implements it, i'd probably pay for it.

Here are a couple of screenshots:

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/8937/snap20100331184041.png

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5349/snap20100331183554.png

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2223/snap20100331183612.png

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/6624/snap20100331184113.png

You mean OTHER then Vendors.... right?

KillJoy

Vendors support the site by paying money. Without vendors, CR and Ohio Riders go away.

Tapatalk just charges people for their app, and in no way helps with the site.

Big difference there amigo.

They arent making money off other forums, they are making money by offering a service to the phone user. That's like saying Time Warner makes money off forums because forums are on the internet, and they offer a service to get on the internet. Or saying that CR isnt going to allow access to people who use IE because Microsoft makes money off IE.

With the search feature on Tapatalk, it might bring in more members to CR.

Whatever, I paid for it, it's a cool app that can have all your forums in one app. I pay for the convenience, I'm paying for their code of the app, not the service. It's not a monthly fee. it's a 1 time "Thanks, this makes it easy for me to check 5 different forums faster." Whatever.

They arent making money off other forums, they are making money by offering a service to the phone user. That's like saying Time Warner makes money off forums because forums are on the internet, and they offer a service to get on the internet. Or saying that CR isnt going to allow access to people who use IE because Microsoft makes money off IE.

With the search feature on Tapatalk, it might bring in more members to CR.

Not even close there dude. It's more like car companies including XM radios with their cars. Then XM makes money off the person who bought the car. However, in this example XM pays the car company to put the radio in. Tapatalk is simply making money of this application being installed on a forum without any kick back going to the forum. Why should we encourage members to use this application? It adds no benefit to the site, only to the few users who actually buy the app. If a mobile site is this important, I'd be more than happy to set up a mobile version of CR. However, from my experience, it won't get used. I had one up for Ohio Riders for over a year. It saw 200 hits the entire year. Most of those were people checking it out and never using it again. That definitely isn't worth the overhead. Most phones are now more than capable of viewing websites in their full version. Mobile sites and things like this app have become nothing more than a novelty.

Not even close there dude. It's more like car companies including XM radios with their cars. Then XM makes money off the person who bought the car. However, in this example XM pays the car company to put the radio in. Tapatalk is simply making money of this application being installed on a forum without any kick back going to the forum. Why should we encourage members to use this application? It adds no benefit to the site, only to the few users who actually buy the app. If a mobile site is this important, I'd be more than happy to set up a mobile version of CR. However, from my experience, it won't get used. I had one up for Ohio Riders for over a year. It saw 200 hits the entire year. Most of those were people checking it out and never using it again. That definitely isn't worth the overhead. Most phones are now more than capable of viewing websites in their full version. Mobile sites and things like this app have become nothing more than a novelty.

I disagree, this would group all your sites together, in one place. I agree on a separate mobile site, they suck, you still navigate. I don't have to wait for the page to load, it shows me the newest post first thing. It's a connivence thing. People don't HAVE to buy the app to use the forum, only if they want the connivence of all your forums in one place. I am paying for their Code, they wrote it. Again I disagree, but I am nobody, I like the app and it is worth the 2-3 dollars. Fuck, I spend more on Coffee, per day.

Oh and don't install an aftermarket part on your bike/car, they ain't paying you to have their "product" on your bike even though you benefit from the performance or look. That is how I look at it. It's a "mod" to the forum, that the user pays for if they want.

Oh and don't install an aftermarket part on your bike/car, they ain't paying you to have their "product" on your bike even though you benefit from the performance or look. That is how I look at it. It's a "mod" to the forum, that the user pays for if they want.

You're wanting Columbus Racing to install a 3rd party plugin. Convince the powers to be why they should do it. So far, there's no good reason.

You're wanting Columbus Racing to install a 3rd party plugin. Convince the powers to be why they should do it. So far, there's no good reason.

I dont really care either way, and to be honest I dont think I'll ever use it, but I dont see it hurting or benefiting CR. And like I said earlier, might even bring in more members, which is good. I dont know what all it requires to install, but if its as easy clicking "install", I dont see why not.

Because it loads much faster than viewing it in a browser. Right now, you have to wait for each individual post to show up, one after the other, which takes for-fucking-ever.

Because it loads much faster than viewing it in a browser. Right now, you have to wait for each individual post to show up, one after the other, which takes for-fucking-ever.

Maybe on an Iphone....:p

That's the thing. I'm posting this from my iPhone right now. No problems. I have no idea what you're talking about it taking "for-fucking-ever". It loads fine.

Nasioc uses it and it's larger than OR and CR combined. They see no harm.

Nasioc is larger than OR and CR. So it might be beneficial for them, as THEY HAVE MORE USERS. Plus, they were a beta site for Tapatalk. I'd be willing to bet there's some sort of a kickback going on there.

Like I said, convince the powers that be. So far it's just two of you pissing in the wind.