Springless Valvetrain

Nickey4271647545519

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. :cool:

I think that any design that increases efficiency or decreases parasitic drag is a step in the right direction. If there is an improvement that seems like it is too expensive to be practical, the next inventor may make a way for it to be cost effective.

I also think that springless valvetrains are nothing new (Ducati's desmodromic and F1 pneumatic valve actuators come to mind), but to really increase performance, we would have to do away with the poppet valve altogether.

Not sure if I like the idea of pulling the valves closed with a solid mechanical linkage. Even the tiniest mis-adjustment in lash would spell instant and total catastrophe. I think I like BMW's idea of using a powerful solenoid to open and close the valve better. Much less complicated, much less chance of catoing, and it also offers instant and near-infinite timing adjustability.

I also think it's step in the right direction for pushrod motor. I think with this system you would be able to add more duration to the cam to keep the valves open longer and you could compensate with steeper ramp angles on the cam. To me it seems like the best of both a hydraulic roller and solid roller. Just set it and forget, but you could have the performance advantages of a solid cam. Only disadvantage, to me it looks like it would limit the amount of lift you could have, maybe i'm wrong and that max lift is way more than any motor should have. welp thats my thoughts on it.

Nickey

I think he solved a minor problem experienced only by those who flog their engines.... by making it more complicated and less reliable.

Neat device, admire the hard work, but I'll never use it.

Same guy also solved another problem, for those of us that run street motors.

Most of the testing the motor was done by Keith Black Racing Engines, 40+ for $1500 is cheap to some guy and worth every penny, I personally would like to save my pennies and get this system for the next SBC i build