98 BLAZER NO 4WD

STEVE-O

well i just picked up the car and the 4wd doesnt work now.

The lights come on and I here it click but it does not engauge. yes I put it in park and in neutral and still nothing in 4 wheel low or high.

I tapped on the transfercase motor/actuator to see if it would engauge and still got nothing.. any ideas??? I know this is a common problem with them and the jimmy but I dont know a whole lot about 4 wheel...

smoke test it...

damn it seems the more i read up on this the more common this problem is but there are a few ways people have fixed it so i am kinda at a loss right now...

it seems like the people who ahve the lights etc and still no 4wd have had vac problems so i guess when i leave work today that will be the firstthing i check out

well it has been ahrd to get a diagram of the vac system to see where the line is supposed to go but i know there is the cable attatched to the bottom of the diafram and on the top of that thereis a nipple where i guess the vac hose is supposed to go but nothing it on it and I can not see the line like laying anywhere so i dont know if it came off and fell or if it fell off and is gone forever lol

if i cant find it out i might just drop it off to rob this weekend and take the camaro out to athens insted.

one goes to the motor one goes to the vacum acc under the battery tray and the other is a vent to release the vacum off the system .

do you know where the one to the motor connects??? isit to the manifold?? i think that is the one that came off but i can not find a good diagram to show where the other side attatches to the motor to try and see if it is still in tact there

got the battery tray out and found the vac line that was suppossed to go to the vacuum actuator had been plugged with a bolt and not attatched.. unplugged it and reattatched it to the actuator.

Still nothing more at this point but i know I did have vac on the line after i took the bolt out and put it where it belongs..

I do notice that when going from 4low to 2 or 4high the lights will blink while the 4low stays lit..

next step is I am going to put it into 4low and see if i can turn the front shaft while it is in park

Guest Removed

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/4x4quickcheck.gif

step 8 incase you need it..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/step8.gif

if you need anything else, lmk..these charts should get you started

(ps, the blue boxs, means there's another chart to follow ) i post a few of the starting one for you

I remeber finding a article on someone asking if there was any issues with the heating or air and guess what now I can not get any heat to blow through the vents on any settings...

This is a good sign there is a vac problem somewhere else in the system for the 4wd and heat correct???

I think that is what I remeber reading??? rob sorry i did not get a hold of you been super busy but If I can not track this down I will def be giving you a call

ok i think the pieces just fell together in my head..

Well the vac line was plugged going to the diafram. There were zip ties on the calbe side of the diafram.. did not knw what was going on but no It makes sense.. the diafram was bypassed andthe zip ties held the caled pulled so you could lock in the front dif..l and the vac lines was in turn plugged also si there was nothing the diafram was doing... my guess was the diafram went bad and they dont want to fix it so they bypassed it...

I can get a new diafram for free so I will swap them and see if everything is good to go.

run vac line through floor into cabin. suck on line really hard when you need 4WD /thread

LOL well two problems with that one I was thinking about just adding a t-bar handle that was attatched to the cable and pull it when i want four wheel... second problem is if the diafram is bad then no matter how hard anyone sucks on it it will still not engage four wheel... but if you want to ride shot gun while i drive we can see if you ahve the sucking strength to kick it into four wheel.